Can't use mobile data for system update

StevenBrown
Novice III

Android 11 is requiring me to connect to WiFi to do a system update, and I have found no way to use mobile data to do that. The problem is, what if I do not have access to WiFi data? In the past, my smartphone stopped connecting to the Visible network until after I did a system update. If that happens again, and I do not have WiFi access, I'm screwed. Is there any way I can update the system using mobile data?

2 REPLIES 2

Airwolf
Superuser
Superuser

While obviously not the best solution, have you tried attempting to connect to WiFi service when out and about that may be available from a shopping center/coffee shop etc.?  Depending on how often the update needs to connect to WiFi that may be an option.

Secondly, not sure if it would work but does connecting to a mobile hotspot trick the system thinking it is on WiFi.

Finally, check your settings in your phone to see if there is a data saver option checked.  Possible because the update is to large it is trying to save cell data and force it over WiFi. 

I am not familiar with Android phones/apps so I apologize if my suggestions are not helpful, but trying to at least get you some sort of assistance.

If a post has solved your problem, please mark it as an acceptable solution, it helps others that may have experienced a similar issue get a quick resolution.

I can stop at the public library to update my phone using their WiFi. I thought of a workaround but don't want to divulge the details here in case that leads to it being defeated.