Receiving Text messages whilst abroad

dshj34
Novice

I'm going to be out of the US for the next couple of months.  I've forwarded my voice calls to google voice, but is there a way to forward my SMS messages?  I use apple so can get my iMessages on my computer.

If this isn't possible through visible is there an app that can do this?  Any suggestions from international travelers?

3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there!

Visible is currently only available in the U.S.  To call or text using Wi-Fi only you can use FaceTime/iMessage on your iPhone or download an app like WhatsApp. If you need cell service internationally, you can temporarily swap out your Visible SIM for a local one.

sixtiescycles
Novice

This is only a partial answer. Hereโ€™s the scenario: You have a Visible+ plan with eSIM, then install a local (e.g., some EU country) SIM for daily use while youโ€™re in Europe. IF someone in the US tries to call or text you, can you at least receive the call or SMS (text message)? Say, for emergency use or two-factor verification (I have a lot of those tied to my US number) only? Will that work?

slomanl
Novice

If you have an Android phone you can use an SMS forwarding app to forward your SMS messages to an internet based texting app such as TextNow. It's more difficult for iPhones as they do not allow SMS forwarding. You may be forced to port your number out of Visible to another carrier or directly to TextNow or Google Voice to get you text messages while travelling abroad. Apps like TextNow use Wifi or Local cellular data from your local eSIM card you can purchase while (for example in Italy or France). I use Global eSIMs from Airalo. I have tried this method and it works quite well.