Is Visible too good to be true?

DS-VisibleMgr
Community Manager
Community Manager

VisiSquad, 

Some people really think Visible is too good to be true. To show and prove Visible is offering a free trial starting on January 6th! However, the real proof is from our members. So post your service testimonial here for all to see and you might get a shout out from our team at Visible!

-DS

DS-Community Manager
8 REPLIES 8

beav
Superuser
Superuser

DS: you have left a couple of important facts out. The free trial is for iPhone users only, and only certain models. You can find more info on the free 15 day trial here: 

https://www.visible.com/free-trial/

If a post has solved your problem, please mark it as an acceptable solution, it helps others that may have experienced a similar issue get a quick resolution.

NightcoreKuan
Novice III

It's not fake! These are my speedtests from 5G on Visible in a stadium! https://imgur.com/gallery/C5UMxlY

smgrinus
Intermediate

The service was great for the first 4 months or so. Deprioritization wasn't horrible. The speeds were usable. Now, it seems like it is unusable during business hours. I am currently getting dial-up speeds until 9-10 pm most of the time and then the speeds only hit just above 4 Mbps for download. I'm not sure what is going on but it isn't a pleasant experience right now. 

Can you descibe (without being too specific) what kind of neighborhood you live in, and if you travel with, what a typical trip is, and whether you're using it as a direct phone item or a portable hotspot for the Switch.

I use it almost exclusively at hone and always as a modem for my Switch and Xbox.  It geys fairly consistent 5 M in / 5bM out.  They may sound low, byt considering the DSL xompany has a monopoly of land internet at 1.6 M in 400k out, Visible serves my need.

I understand I am the outlier customer, one county away from a city with a pro sports team, by an intersection of 2 interstates, in an area which has no good land internet mainly because we are pinned between a railroad and 2 interstates and have only on north south street and 3 east west ribs in the course of 2-3 miles.

In my situation Government limits on Visible's hotspot is my enemy firm me getting even better home internet.

Everyone at the Visible Network Map and Math center say it's the government regulation keeping my connection low.

However if you're in a  residential suburban area that's not by a freeway, then maybe that's natural traffic conditions.

BTW if your speed has a unit of Mb/s and hasva single digit from 9 to 1, that's not dial up.  Today that may seem like dial up, but you know dial up unless you had it for 7 years. If you had literal dial up, prepare to keep the computer on for days, not hours.  Especially when the minimum speed limit is raised by having basic Nintendo Switch games take at least 1 GB, and those load in an hour with Visible 5 M in / 5 M out.

Yeah same here ๐Ÿ˜ž  Real bummer.....people won't want to join.  This is not a good representation of Visible/Verizon!

smgrinus
Intermediate

I'm far enough out that there is no DSL available and there are no neighbourhoods or traffic close enough to interfere with signals. I suppose something has changed in the area to create interference because it was working pretty well a few months ago.

As for dial-up speeds, I've been getting regularly 42+ kb/s on downloads which btw is dial-up speeds. When 12:30 am or later rolls around, I go back to near normal speeds I was seeing previously so It certainly seems like deprioritization is involved in some way.

Anyhow, It isn't like I have much of a choice. There is nothing else available. I had T-mobile before and signal strength was one bar on the phone at most. It also lacked an unlimited hotspot as well. Everyone else is simply too overpriced for what they offer, AT&T is the worst offender. 

The problem is the nature of cellular internet is that you could just as easily be in a blind spot for an otherwise good cellular area.  When I had sprints for a little while we were literally in a two house wide blind spots on our street that only kept us at 1.5 megabits in.

The nature of the cellular blind spots make it so that if only one company has a monopoly in the area, and you're in their blind spot, that is very unfortunate because there are a whole bunch of very small cellular home internet plans where if you're area is not designated as a market for their cell phone as home internet then you're just out of luck.

The weird thing is only one cellular company is allowed to be a competitor to DSL and cable in each area. So if you're in that company's blind spots you're just out of luck.

A lot of these cell phone companies can range from being awesome to awful depending on where you travel and what you do while you're traveling.

The person who's complaining that visible gives them close to dial up speeds is probably in an area where they're in a Verizon blind spot.  If that's the case, then maybe a third party of one of the other cellular brands might be better.

Homes are very unusual things because they are immobile by nature.  You either got the reception for the network or you don't.

If you don't then probably it would be wise for you to pick a different cell phone company.

However if you're mainly using it on the road then that's when things get more equalized.

If you're primarily using it for the home then you should find out what is the best option for your home.  Sprint had the best plan before but the problem was I was in a Sprint blind spot which did not much better than DSL.

It doesn't matter how good your plan is if you're in a blind spot.

joyfulmom
Novice III

We had Boost for 7 years and used the hotspot everytime we went camping with no problems.  Believe it or not, we rarely had any issues but switched over for the great rate!  Now we are suffering without or SLOW coverage everyday.  Yikes!