Latency Reduction

MoiraPrime
Novice III

Hey... I was wondering if there's any plans at visible to improve the latency on the network. I personally think 160 - 220ms is very high for a ping in the United States and it should be 80ms max.

This is something that I'm very concerned about because high ping can make fast speeds seem slow.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MoiraPrime
Novice III

Update after so much longer later. I'd like to commend Visible for the new plans. They solve the latency issues entirely. If you want to improve your latency, switch to the new Visible or Visible+ plans. That's all!

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Starfox
Novice III

Where are you located, and which node is your line using? One thing you can do is to ask for a SIM reset via chat and it may route to a closer exit node.

โ€” Starfox

MoiraPrime
Novice III

Believe me, if the 5 previous resets did nothing, a 6th wouldn't help either. I'm located in the US Southeast, I think there just needs to be more nodes.

Starfox
Novice III

Iโ€™m in the mid-Atlantic and routed to either NY or KS. Both are sub-80. It could also be that the tower is congested or the backbone is saturated in which case there wouldnโ€™t be much you can do.

โ€” Starfox

MoiraPrime
Novice III

It's not a tower issue. During the day speeds fluctuate based on usage... During the peak it's as slow as 2 megabits. This is normal. During the least active hours, 2-8 am, speeds get as high as 25 megabits. This is band 13 LTE in a rural area... So that's normal. However during the peaks and the quiet times, the latency is always spread between 140 ms and 220 ms.

If I go throw $5 in data on another cheap Verizon mvno and run a speed test, speeds are the same but latency is 80 - 100 ms, much lower than the latency on Visible

It leads me to believe the additional latency is intentional to create an artificial degradation in service to lure some users to the more expensive network options.

Starfox
Novice III

80 to 100ms on a regular MVNO means backhaul/backbone is saturated. It should be 40 to 50 if it wasnโ€™t. If you are using Speedtest you should be seeing some packet loss% as well. Your best bet is to see if the other 2 carrier offers better connectivity.

โ€” Starfox

MoiraPrime
Novice III

Just checked every single speedtest since November, which amounts to over 100 speedtests. Not a single ping under 130, and 0% packet loss on every single one. My last speedtest on US Mobile Verizon prior to porting to visible had 38 ms ping and 0% packet loss.

Starfox
Novice III

Frogking
Novice II

I think ping times are too high. Iโ€™m in Green Bay, Wisconsin (in between the two โ€œnodesโ€ and I really think Visible/Verizon needs a new node in the Midwest, especially with 5G rolling out!  My pings are almost always above 100ms and Iโ€™ve seen them as high as 600ms!

devin37354
Intermediate III

Mine has actually gone up with the new features. Was hovering around 120 now 175 most of the day ๐Ÿ˜ž

Starfox
Novice III

Dup reply because filter...

โ€” Starfox

mikelee1701
Novice

I agree, what is the latest update (July 2, 2021)?

Came here from Mint, and they had around 30ms ping

Visible is typically over 150ms.  Just as bad as no connection!

If its not going to change I'm switching out.

GWB
Novice III

New to visible and Verizon. Came from att prepaid. After reading a few of these I'm going to take it 150ms ping is there norm with visible service?

DaConard
Novice II

On maybe my fifth day of service and if I'm ever driving my ping is like 200+.. I've tested it... If I'm at home its around 70... Gonna spend the next few days running around and speed testing at different times but if it's going to be this high a lot of the times I don't think this is something that's gonna work for me either... Mint sounds a lot better at their price point if it's actually around 30ms like the one guy said.. 

I will report back in a few days - a week.. Maybe I'm spoiled after being on Verizon post paid for 10 years.. Sucks they screwed me over on a $800 trade in and gave me no credit after 6 months now..,

Are you still on Visible? What's your ping rate these days?

MoiraPrime
Novice III

Update after so much longer later. I'd like to commend Visible for the new plans. They solve the latency issues entirely. If you want to improve your latency, switch to the new Visible or Visible+ plans. That's all!