OnePlus 8 - Do Not Purchase Through Visible

Anonymous
Not applicable

DO NOT purchase this device from Visible!!!

The version you receive from Visible does not receive OS updates.  The Visible store page links you to the OnePlus8 page, but that isn't the phone you are buying.  Avoid at all costs.

EDIT- Title was changed to clarify the intent of the thread

14 REPLIES 14

bpositive
Intermediate III

We have to find what is stopping from getting updates.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did receive a note from a Visible rep a week or so ago, stating that the problem is that OnePlus has not provided an OS to be released.  Based on the details on the OnePlus website, I'm inclined to believe the Visible rep.

OnePlus 8 Visible:

https://www.oneplus.com/support/softwareupgrade/details?code=PM1600329725089

OnePlus 8:

https://www.oneplus.com/support/softwareupgrade/details?code=PM1586920535300

That being said, Visible does not make it obvious that they are selling us a lesser version of the OnePlus 8, so shame on them for duping us.  Visible could help make this right by pressuring OnePlus into supporting the devices - and pulling them from the store if they don't comply. 

The simple response of "we don't provide the OS, OnePlus does" is not sufficient, since it is Visible that is selling the non-standard variant of the phone.  Had the Visible store been selling the standard version of the phone, we'd have our OS updates last month - and have the option to be beta testing a new one as of 4 days ago.

Anonymous
Not applicable

replied in wrong spot...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Visible taking no responsibility or active role in the solution.

"

Iโ€™m Alex with Visible Care. Iโ€™m reaching out regarding the issue youโ€™re experiencing with your device. As you may know, a device such as your OnePlus 8 comes with multiple model numbers. Those model numbers can differ from the baseline model in both software and hardware terms. This means that they are all updated independently based on the hardware parts and software configurations specific to each model.

Please note that the above described differences are vital for the establishment of a proper connection between the device and certain networks based on network protocols. If you have more questions about this topic, our advice is to contact the manufacturer.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may be causing you, and we greatly appreciate your patience while we worked this out."

bpositive
Intermediate III

@Anonymous 

I understand about your frustration. If your phone doesn't have the updated version as in the oneplus website, please download the file and manually flash the firmware. 

Please use the link below: 

https://www.oneplus.com/support/softwareupgrade/details?code=PM1600329725089 

This should help to update your phone. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, that link only gives the OS I already have.  The one that is several months behind the rest of the OnePlus world.

MVNOResearch
Visible Employee

Visible has no reason not to send device updates - the manufacturer delivers the update to a carrier to test, and then a carrier tests it for a couple of weeks or maybe a month at most, and then approves it to be sent out.  I just asked our device team about the OnePlus 8.  OnePlus has been behind on delivering the update to us, but we anticipate that it will be able to be sent to users during April.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.  This is the most meaningful response that I've received to date.  Please do keep us updated on the matter.

Anonymous
Not applicable

OnePlus has released 11.0.four.four  (using numbers is a bad word????) and 11.0.five.five (really???) so far in March.  Any word on whether or not they've provided anything to Visible for testing and rollout?  The OnePlus 8 Visible support page on their site still shows no updates since 11/2/2020.

Like I said above - April is the anticipated release for us.  And yeah, the automod for the community doesn't allow numbers because it thinks you are posting a phone number and nobody wants those details out there.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It would just be nice to know that April being the anticipated release is based in reality, or just being thrown out there as a vague target despite having not received an OS from OnePlus to test.  Customers have been told "within the next couple of weeks" since February.  

I was told by our device team that barring an unforeseen issue that they do not expect, the release will occur in April.

@MVNOResearch 

It is good to hear this. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

https://9to5google.com/2021/04/12/oneplus-8-verizon-visible-android-update-stuck/

"Someone" must have reached out to 9to5Google and asked them to look into this.

April 23.  This does align with the "During April" our Visible Employee posted in this thread.  But now OnePlus has confirmed it PUBLICLY on their end.