Ping times improved - surprise (<100ms)

upstate-SC
Superuser
Superuser

While it is sad to see party pay go. I noticed that the ping times are improved today. Have anyone else noticed?

Guys report your ping times in the comments below.

For me multiple speed test show less than 100ms

Just another visible user, willing to help others.
Please mark my answer as solution if it helped you.
16 REPLIES 16

GreenSub
Superuser
Superuser

My Visible ping time with the Speedtest iOS app was always over 100 ms.

Just upgraded to Visible+ and I am now around 39 ms

Anonymous
Not applicable

@upstate-SC, is that after "upgrading" to the new "Visible" or "Visible+" or still on "Visible Unlimited"? I'm still at 120 Mbps on the old "Visible Unlimited" but awaiting the new SIM required for the new plans - specifically upgrading to the new "Visible" plan.

Really just trying to determine whether there is any advantage to spending an added $5 per month on the "upgraded" Visible plan (I fully recognize I've lost the ability to go back to Visible Unlimited). Guess I'll find out soon enough.

upstate-SC
Superuser
Superuser

I am currently in Visible unlimited plan. I havent upgraded. when i connect to 5G with this plan i have better latency now. Speeds are still capped.

From what i read on internet, the latency with the new plans "Visible" or "Visible+" is the same as Verizon. You are no longer on a virtual network with Visible like earlier.

Just another visible user, willing to help others.
Please mark my answer as solution if it helped you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks... Yes that's my understanding also and was just trying to clarify - I rarely ever get 5G at home and always go through some Kansas server which I presume is their virtual network that adds latency. My understanding is that the new plans (and SIM) will switch over to the Verizon core network.

Who knows maybe once I get the new SIM I won't be in Kansas anymore and there will be a dead witch under my house, not to mention everything will be in color. Will post my experience on activating new SIM...

VisibleRocks
Superuser
Superuser

My ping on Visible Unlimited is 95 ms, but my speed both up and down has improved.

If a post has solved your problem, please mark it as an acceptable solution, it helps others that may have experienced a similar issue get a quick resolution.

jimjrfl
Intermediate

My pings (LTE, dont have 5G, iPhone XR) remaine the same. Approx range is 135 to185

phoneman2021
Superuser
Superuser

@jimjrfl did you get the new sim? If not that explains why your ping times are the same. You need a new sim. I'll ask the question I posted in several places and got no answer. What are the minimum and maximum speeds you will get on the new plans? I chatted with CS they are still quoting 5 to 12 MBPS a second which is terrible.

@phoneman2021  No I did not get a new sim. I wasn't even trying to get a new physical sim. I was, at the time, trying to change my legacy plan to the new plan. I'm currantly using an esim on an iPhone. Nowhere was there an option to change. Over two hours on chat with cunstomer service they couldn't figure it out either. At first they were saying the option as on the app, but, it is not! That seemed to realy confuse them. I had to confirm app version and phone iOS versions. Even had to delete the app and reload it. But there is NO option to change your plan. This was days ago now and still no fix. I even had to send them screenshots of the app so they could see for themselves there was no option. It has been escilated and I randomly get messages sying they haven't forgot and are working on it.

But in the long run it looks like it was a blessing in disguise. with all of the service issues and zero increase in speeds. I have an iPhone XR so I do not have 5G. But since 5G is limited in availability it doesnt matter to me. But LTE should be plenty fast. But I'm not willing to pay more for same or lower speeds In my area, about 12 miles north of Orlando the Visible speeds are around 2-5mps down and 0.97 to 1.9 up. So why pay more for those speeds? In the meantime, I hope they work out all of the new system issues.

Anonymous
Not applicable

FWIW regarding expected speeds, see "What speeds and performance can a Visible Broadband Internet Access Services customer expect, and where are these speeds available?" under "Important Information about Visibleโ€™s Plans and Broadband Internet Access Services" over at Important Legal DIsclosures:

https://www.visible.com/legal/legal-disclosures

It depends on plan and network. Having gone through something similar with an array of plans and satellites on Viasat, it's probably not a smooth rollout and takes time to fine tune it - not to mention for the CS reps to become familiar with the subtleties. But even as is, Visible still beats geostationary satellite and its 650ms pings and measly data caps.

phoneman2021
Superuser
Superuser

I',m totally blind my screen reader isn't finding what the expected data speeds are. What are they?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Being familiar with screen reader accessibility issues in a former life, I can see where getting at that info may be difficult for a screen reader. So here's the relevant section copied and pasted verbatim:

What speeds and performance can a Visible Broadband Internet Access Services customer expect, and where are these speeds available?

Visible runs on the Verizon 4G LTE, Verizon 5G Ultra Wideband, and Verizon 5G Nationwide networks.  Visible expects customers will experience the following speeds unless such speeds are otherwise managed through network optimization practices described in your plan:

4G LTE: typical download speeds of 5-12 Mbps for the Visible Unlimited plan. Many members are getting more. Upload speeds are typically 2-5 Mbps for the Visible Unlimited plan. For the Visible+, Visible and Wearable plans, typical download speeds are of 9-56 Mbps* and upload speeds are of 2-13 Mbps. 

5G: 5G access requires a Visible-approved 5G capable device inside the Verizon 5G Ultra Wideband or Verizon 5G Nationwide coverage areas. Devices manufactured before 2020 are not 5G Nationwide compatible. You will receive 4G LTE when 5G isn't available. For the Visible and Visible Unlimited plans 5G data speeds are capped at 200 Mbps and during times of congestion may be temporarily slower than other traffic.  For the Visible+ plan 5G data speeds are capped at 5 Gbps. 

5G Ultra Wideband network: typical download speeds of 90 - 170 Mbps with higher speeds and peaks over 1 Gbps in certain areas. Typical upload speeds of 15 - 30 Mbps with peak upload speeds over 100 Mbps. Uploads may be over 5G Nationwide and 4G LTE in lower signal strength conditions. The 5G Ultra Wideband network is still being deployed and optimized. These speeds are projections based solely on internal testing, not the 25th and 75th percentiles of network tests. We will provide updates as the network is further deployed and optimized and more data is gathered.

5G Nationwide network: for the Visible+ and Visible plans typical download speeds of 9-56 Mbps* and upload speeds of 2-13 Mbps.  For the Visible Unlimited plan, Visible expects members on the 5G Nationwide network will experience download speeds of 5-12 Mbps. Many members are getting more. Upload speeds are typically 2-5 Mbps for the Visible Unlimited plan on the 5G Nationwide network.

*Video speeds may be slower, depending on video resolution provided.

Visible seeks to transmit video downloads or streams to smartphones at 480p for all plans.

With respect to latency (how much time it takes for a packet of data to get from one designated point to another) for use of real-time data applications, Visible expects network to device (round-trip) latency to be less than 30 ms on its 5G Ultra Wideband network for the Visible+ plan, less than 100 ms on its 5G Nationwide and 4G LTE networks for the Visible+, Visible and Wearable plans (for the Wearable plan, with respect to the 4G LTE network only).  With respect to latency for use of real-time data applications, we expect network to device (round-trip) latency to be about 150 milliseconds for the Visible Unlimited plan on the 4G LTE network and 5G Nationwide network.

Visible 4G LTE and 5G Ultra Wideband, and 5G Nationwide coverage information is available at www.visible.com/plan/coverage. You must be using a Visible-approved device on the Verizon 4G LTE network, Verizon 5G Ultra Wideband network, and/or Verizon 5G Nationwide network. You must be within the Verizon coverage area to access the Verizon network.  Whether you experience the expected speed listed above depends on many factors including, among others, the type of device, the programs running on the device, your location, and how many other customers are attempting to use the same spectrum resources, including both mobile broadband internet access and other non-broadband internet access services that share the network.

phoneman2021
Superuser
Superuser

Again without that new sim you can't say your speeds won't improve.  You don't have what you need.  You need your new sim.  Have you tried looking under account or shop is it there?  Another thing you could try is requesting a call from a supervisor.  

Well I was on chat for over two hours because there is no option at all on the app. They "thought" it was on the app but after finding out it was nowhere in the app, and spending over two hours trying to find out why and how anyone was supposed to upgrade without starting from scratch... They moved it to escalation. That was on the evening of the 17th. As far as the speeds go... yes I can not truely say what they are but from the four or five videos on Youtube I've seen... they are no better than what they already are. Well not on LTE. I don't have a 5G phone. 

phoneman2021
Superuser
Superuser

@Anonymous thank you very much that was helpful I truly appreciate it!!!! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

There's a lot more on that Legal Disclosures Page, I converted it all to a PDF in the event you can handle that. Unfortuantely I see no way of attaching PDFs here or on private messages. If you feel comfortable private message me your email address and I could forward to you - but your call.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Alternately I just put that PDF on my Google Drive and shared with the world try:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pLFnGcBJzWzELPYUTcmzvmZx8OVdMaAd/view