Pixel 5 and 5G Support

miguelr
Novice

So... we have 5G.

Naturally the question now becomes, what phones are supported, and in my particular case, when will the Pixel 5 be supported?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

frugalfamily
Intermediate

Hey @miguelr - here are the devices that are currently supported (excerpt from Visible's website). 

Currently, Samsung Galaxy S20, S20+, and S20 Ultra, iPhone 12, and Blade X1 5G are our only 5G compatible devices

For more info check out https://www.visible.com/help/5G.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

devin37354
Intermediate III

And what about OnePlus devices that are 5G. Do we have a roadmap on what devices will support 5G and when? 

frugalfamily
Intermediate

Hey @miguelr - here are the devices that are currently supported (excerpt from Visible's website). 

Currently, Samsung Galaxy S20, S20+, and S20 Ultra, iPhone 12, and Blade X1 5G are our only 5G compatible devices

For more info check out https://www.visible.com/help/5G.

MVNOResearch
Visible Employee

Current: iPhone 12, Samsung GS20 (including S20/S20+/S20 Ultra), Samsung GS20FE, and ZTE Blade X1 5G.

Planned in March: Google Pixel 5 and the 4A 5G, as well as Samsung GS21.  This is dependent on Google and Samsung pushing the software update with the compatibility in it.

This triggers a question of mine:

I am currently rocking an iPhone 7 Plus.  If I upgrade to iPhone 12 or 13, will I get faster network speed?

Verizon does have 5G support in my neck of the woods, but that is not real 5G.  It's just 4G rebranded.

Hey @marciano - to give you an idea 4G download speeds range from 2โ€“30 Mbps, In large cities that can reach up to 35 Mbps (according to lifewire.com).

In real world testing, OpenSignal reports that today, average 5G download speeds in the US are at around 52 Mbps.

Depending where you live that could be a 2x bump in speed. While currently that technically is faster - the idea is also about having technology in your phone that will have the potential to experience significantly faster speeds on 5G in years to come as the technology is built out...

Hope that helps! ๐Ÿ™‚

These are likely old averages or these averages are very low.

Yes - a little.  I have personally tried this with an older iPhone and a brand new one, and the speed is better.  You won't move from 10mbps to 50mbps, but it will be a little better.

Some real life 4G averages from my areas

Knoxville TN I normally get 100Mbps or higher on 4G. Most of the day today I've reached around 140Mbps

Maryville Tn where I work I average around 30Mbps on 4g

Great info @devin37354 - so depending where you are @marciano you could see a speed bump, however the true implementation for nation-wide ultra fast 5G is in it's early stages and is still being built out.

Hello,

What about oneplus phones like their latest oneplus 8T which I have and is such a waste to see a fully fledged 5G devices not being used.

Are we getting 5G anytime soon for the oneplus 8T?

tehonez
Novice III

I just received the one plus 8 and realized it's not the usual Verizon UW version so I'm returning it for a pixel. Hopefully we get 5G soon on them!

RiverFlowing8
Novice III

Looking forward to it.  Hopefully lower latency on 5g?!

tehonez
Novice III

When a phone receives 5G support will it need a 5G sim to support it like with 4G or is everything done on the back end?

Subaru10000
Novice III

๐Ÿ“ข  Now available for the pixel 5 and 4a 5g with the March update!!   ๐Ÿ“ข

Did you have to do anything?  Or did the 5G icon just appear in the status bar after reboot?