cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot spot clarification

Wanderound
Novice II

Can anyone provide me with more detail on hotspot useage? I need to better understand what is meant by 5mbps and one device for the hotspot. Is that only one device can connect to the hotspot? Only one device per the party is allowed to use a hotspot?

I currently have a phone that with a Verizon pay as you go sim in it. This is used primarily as a hotspot as I have been traveling to many places in the US this year where Verizon is the only data provider available. In that case I turn the hotspot on the phone and we run laptops and phones off of this hotspot.  I also use this phone as a dash cam and as GPS so it is nice to run Waze etc at times. Obviously it would be cheaper to do a Visible especially since I have a connection to a party of more than 4 people but if the hotspot will not work as I like it is not useful to me. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

bpositive
Intermediate III

As per the Visible T&C, visible hotspot is limited to 5Mbps and one device can be connected at a time. However, many customers are able to use the hotspot on multiple devices. 

View solution in original post

GMONEYMOTO
Novice II

Check to see if your laptop has a "mobile hotspot" option under the "network and internet" settings.

Here's what I do:

Tether my android phone to my laptop via USB cord.

On my phone go to:  settings -> network & internet -> hotspot & tethering -> USB tethering

On my laptop go to:  network & internet -> mobile hotspot

So now my laptop has internet access and serves as a mobile hotspot that can connect multiple devices (my tablet & other phones, etc.).  Total download speed is only 5mbps, but it is the only way I can connect multiple devices.

6 REPLIES 6

stang67671
Intermediate II

Works the same way but is unlimited. If you have iPhones than more than on device can connect as a hot spot.

I do not have an any iphones but consistently connect many devices to the hotspot currently  on the phone with the Verizon sim.  I don't understand why they say use the terminology one device if many can connect. Is the 5mbps per device or do all of the devices share the 5mbps?

I know there are threads on here that have ways to bypass the 5mbps cap. You may want to check some YouTube videos for more information.

bpositive
Intermediate III

As per the Visible T&C, visible hotspot is limited to 5Mbps and one device can be connected at a time. However, many customers are able to use the hotspot on multiple devices. 

Also there are some youtube videos that shows how to bypass 5mbps cap for hotspot. 

GMONEYMOTO
Novice II

Check to see if your laptop has a "mobile hotspot" option under the "network and internet" settings.

Here's what I do:

Tether my android phone to my laptop via USB cord.

On my phone go to:  settings -> network & internet -> hotspot & tethering -> USB tethering

On my laptop go to:  network & internet -> mobile hotspot

So now my laptop has internet access and serves as a mobile hotspot that can connect multiple devices (my tablet & other phones, etc.).  Total download speed is only 5mbps, but it is the only way I can connect multiple devices.