Crazy High Ping

yiannisk
Novice

this cant be normal! Visible+ should have priority data

https://imgur.com/a/aNase9F

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.
8 REPLIES 8

yiannisk
Novice

The ping is insane! Iโ€™m in the Boston area. Anyone else see this?

You should have 50 gb of high speed data.  Did you use your 50 gb?  if not chat in with CS.

Not close to 50GB used and the agents on chat seem to think this is not a problem. Iโ€™ve had a hard time getting any support on this

Have you used up your 50GB limit of priority data? You would be deprioritized like the base plan if you have. 

I am on the base plan in a rural area with only 4G LTE and see about 1000ms down and about 800ms up average, did have a high reading of over 1600 once or twice. I check speeds maybe once a week at most when it seems like my connection slows I check to see if speeds have dropped off the map. I don't get very fast speeds, 25 to 35Mbps average.

Not even close to the 50GB limit. Support has been non-existent from visible.  

have you tried reaching out on Reddit twitter or Facebook?

They tell me 20Mbps are a good speed and ignore all my comments about latency. The support is not interested in addressing my support. They just talk right passed me. I asked one of the support people to re-state my concern as they understood it and I got some non-sense response back that had nothing to do with what I was asking for help on. Iโ€™m convinced the facebook & chat live agents are just AI 

The screen capture shows you're on a weak 4G LTE connection (2 bars). That speed is well within the range of Visibles typical 4G download speed and idle latency; Ookla's download and upload latency will vary greatly depending on current network conditions including current load on the OOkla server your connecting to and other factors outside of Visible's control. What's more important is the quality of the connection in that regard. No packet loss suggests it's not due to congestion. Quite frankly, I'd be happy with those results. I've got 4-5 bars 4G LTE but the quality is so poor I max out around 12 Mbps. When I venture out, I get a higer quality 4G LTE signal with fewer bars that maxed out most recently around 76 Mbps. When I'm lucky enought to be in a 5G signal area, the experience is also well withing the typical Broadband Facts.

Try installing a network monitor app such as CellMapper which will give you some quality metric -  in particular look at LTE Reference Signal Received Quality and Signal Strength. When taken together those affect your experience more than bars alone.

As long as Visible meets the published FCC Broadband Facts for 4G they aren't going to do much other than give you the response you've already received. If that were a 5G or 5GUW signal it'd be a differrent story. If you're in a 5G area and not getting 5G, you need to bring that to their attention.

Just my 2 cents.