Dashes are not allowed in email addresses?

jhoganocg
Novice

I've convinced my business partners to switch to Visible for phone service but discovered that our email addresses, which contains a dash, are coming up as an invalid format.  I tried without the dash and it accepted it (however it isn't a real email address), so I'm pretty sure that's the problem.  Why is a dash an illegal character?  They were already hesitant about switching and now I have to tell them to create a totally new email address that they won't check just to create an account?

Can this be fixed so dashes can be used in email?  Makes no sense.

5 REPLIES 5

JustDoIt
Intermediate II

After doing some research it appears that a dash is legit.  There are a lot of special characters that are not allowed.   So Visible should consider this issue as a bug in my opinion.

-JustDoIt

SimpleSavings2
Intermediate

Hi jhoganocg,

Welcome to Visible.

Have you contacted Visible directly through chat. Maybe they can either explain the issue or set up an account for you manually.  Could be worth a try.

Best wishes.

PS - Once you and your business partners sign up, be sure to save as much as you can with Visible. Here, I explain 3 ways to save in order to get your first yr+ of service for just $65 each.

tim5055
Novice

Did you get a resolution to this??

I have had 4 Visible accounts for several years and all of them have a dash in the email address.  Now I can't log into any of the accounts

mmatos5
Novice

I have a similar issue, my email address domain has a number in it and it does not let me register.  The Chat AI & rep cant help I need someone to help me register.  

mmatos5
Novice

And more - the system did let me register for this Community using that same email address, but I cant register for the actual service with it.  Aint that soimehting!