Delayed/late messages Apple Watch

gitmowest
Novice

I’m mostly using my Apple Watch Ultra without my iPhone, or with the iPhone in airplane mode. Some text messages are getting to my watch late. When I get the notification for late text messages, it says the message came in anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes ago. So far, I believe these late messages are iMassages from my contacts who are using iPhones to send them. It isn’t a coverage or a data issue, and I’d much prefer that I get these messages on my watch at the time that they’re sent. Anyone else having a similar problem? What about on phones?

3 REPLIES 3

upstate-SC
Superuser
Superuser

Does your watch has SIM/ plan that you pay for the watch as well? (meaning your watch should be capable of making calls without mobile.) Or else the watch gets messages relayed from your iPhone.

If your iPhone is away/ airplane mode then it is obvious that the messages are not received by the phone hence the delay in your watch.

Just another visible user, willing to help others.
Please mark my answer as solution if it helped you.

My watch has the add on plan for cellular. I’ll get phone calls on my watch, but sometimes iMessages will come late to the watch, starting to see them come anywhere from 2 to 50 minutes late. 

upstate-SC
Superuser
Superuser

Also if your iPhone is unlocked then Apple thinks that you are viewing the screen and you can see the texts you receive so no notification is sent to your watch. If your iPhone is locked then the notifications are routed to your watch.

Hope this helps.

Just another visible user, willing to help others.
Please mark my answer as solution if it helped you.