Eligible carrier?

knowknot
Novice II

Is an AT&T landline considered an eligible carrier?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, I didn't know it was possible to transfer a landline. How about you trying to get a hold customer service and ask. They don't monitor these forums. They would have the answer you are looking for. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, because as far as I know you can't port in a landline number to a cell phone. The requirement for eligible carriers is for porting in a number from other cell carriers. The cell phones in my area have two prefix numbers for cells that are totally different from landlines. I am guessing it would be the same in your area.

rjniles
Superuser
Superuser

How to Port a Landline to a Cell Phone

By Jefe Nubarron
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Wireless Local Number Portability (LNP) has been mandated by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to allow telephone customers to retain a telephone number when switching from one telephone carrier to another. It is often possible to port a telephone number from a landline telephone to a cell phone. There are exceptions, and exclusions between carriers, but you will not know whether a port can succeed until the process has been initiated, and this must always be done through the new carrier.

Step 1

Select the new cell phone carrier. Check first to ensure that your selected cellular carrier can port your existing landline number to their mobile service.

Step 2

Initiate the transfer process with the new cellular phone carrier when you sign up with the carrier. You must start the process with the new carrier to ensure the number is properly ported and that you don't go without service.

Step 3

Provide all necessary documentation, signatures, and fees. Your new carrier will request documentation that shows you control the number to be ported, typically in the form of an existing bill. Sign and fax everything they request. Pay any fees assessed by the new mobile carrier for the port. Wait until your old carrier has approved the porting request. The new carrier should keep you updated as your porting status changes. The entire process could take anywhere from one day to four weeks, depending upon the carriers involved.

Step 4

Address any issues that prevent the porting process from completing. If your request is denied, you may be able to supply further 

Anonymous
Not applicable

That I didn't know. In my area cell phones have the same area code but for cell there are two options for the prefix. I guess I don't know but a few people along with friends and relatives and none have the same prefix as the area they live in. I just don't think it is an option with the Verizon network. I guess it would hurt to try. Here is a link to the eligible carriers and AT&T is on it but think it is in reference to the cell side of their business but of course I could be wrong. https://www.visible.com/help/port-in-promotions

Thank you for your response.  I know that it is possible to port a landline to a cellphone because I have done that before.  My question was if a landline port to Visible is eligible for a discounted purchase price on a new cellphone. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, I didn't know it was possible to transfer a landline. How about you trying to get a hold customer service and ask. They don't monitor these forums. They would have the answer you are looking for. 

skibik

• I think that your solution is the correct one.  I was trying to follow the suggestion on the website that said to ask any questions about pouring on the community site,  but I think now that trying to chat with customer service is the way to go.  Thanks again. 

Port your landline to a cheap prepaid and then to Visible. I used T Mobile prepaid as an intermediary. $15 one time charge.

Thank you for an interesting method to do this.  I would like to purchase a new phone and would like to take advantage of the discount available when a line is ported into Visible. Your idea sounds great but can you explain how I can use your method of I don't have an extra cellphone to temporarily port the nine to? 

Just port to T Mobile with what ever phone you have. Use it on T Mobile till you get the new phone and SIM from Visible.