Existing customer & new phone - just move physical SIM card?

zennn
Novice II

I am a current Visible customer. I have an old iPhone but am about to switch to an Android phone. I have a physical SIM card that I received from Visible when I first activated service. Once I am ready to switch service to the new phone, should I be able to just pop the physical SIM card out and put it in the new phone, and then activate through the Visible app?

I don't know if it matters but I'm still on the old Party Pay plan. The new plans are very confusing to me, and I see many having issues updating so I am trying to delay it as long as possible.

Thanks for any help and wisdom.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just move the card to the new phone, no need to activate as it is already activated. As long as the new android phone is unlocked it should work just fine.

I was holding out on the party pay plan also but on the 2nd or 3rd of this month I saw the offer on my account page. First thing I did was messages Visible customer service on Facebook messenger to make sure this wasn't a one month off deal. I was told as long as you don't switch plans or leave and come back I wouldn't lose the credit. It is for the basic plan only. So I ordered up a SIM card for my phone and it arrived on the 6th, I had one issue with activation but was my fault and nothing to do with activation. When I activated the card everything went great, I tested outgoing and incoming calls, outgoing and incoming texts and everything was working except I had no internet. Well it turned out it was my fault, I had messaged customer service to find out the issue and before they could respond I found that my mobile data was toggled off so I didn't even need customer service. I have saw slight improvement on data speeds and big improvement on ping.

Not saying you won't run into an issue but my activation went through without a hitch.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just move the card to the new phone, no need to activate as it is already activated. As long as the new android phone is unlocked it should work just fine.

I was holding out on the party pay plan also but on the 2nd or 3rd of this month I saw the offer on my account page. First thing I did was messages Visible customer service on Facebook messenger to make sure this wasn't a one month off deal. I was told as long as you don't switch plans or leave and come back I wouldn't lose the credit. It is for the basic plan only. So I ordered up a SIM card for my phone and it arrived on the 6th, I had one issue with activation but was my fault and nothing to do with activation. When I activated the card everything went great, I tested outgoing and incoming calls, outgoing and incoming texts and everything was working except I had no internet. Well it turned out it was my fault, I had messaged customer service to find out the issue and before they could respond I found that my mobile data was toggled off so I didn't even need customer service. I have saw slight improvement on data speeds and big improvement on ping.

Not saying you won't run into an issue but my activation went through without a hitch.

Thank you for your reply, skibik. I greatly appreciate it. The new phone is unlocked and I verified compatibility using the imei checker. Hopefully it goes smoothly to just pop my existing SIM card into the new phone. Thanks for putting my worries at ease on this.

As for upgrading to the new basic non-party pay plan, I appreciate the info about the new price. I was not aware of this until earlier today. I'm glad it will be the same price, but also wondered if the $5 discount would expire. Thanks for sharing what you learned about this! It definitely reduces concerns about upgrading. It would be nice to get improved data speeds and ping.

May I ask, once you ordered your new SIM card for the network upgrade, did your existing service continue working until you received and activated the new SIM card? I don't want to be cut off while waiting for delivery of a new SIM card. I read through the "Visibile Evolution" FAQ and this part of the process is not described.

Thanks again! ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous
Not applicable

From my questions with customer service the discount is supposed to be permanent. You would only lose it if you switch to the plus plan and then switched back or if you left Visible and come back. Here is an interesting video interview with Visible Chief Commercial Officer Jeremy Bolton. Check out this interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh2M5BDGt8w I think this might be why they finally did the discount for the PP plan/Legacy customers.  I'm not sure if the offer will have an expiration date or not. I figured why not just switch and get it over with since it is the same price and it doesn't cost anything to switch.

No, I did not lose service. I was also skeptical about switching and having issues so I was going to wait. I then saw on my account page(before an email was sent early the next week) I then decided on Saturday February 4th to order that way it gave Visible and FedEx an extra day to get me the card even though it is sent FedEx next day. I had it Monday the 6th and in the time between my phone worked as usual. Back in early October I was told by one customer service agent that I would lose service, I had a few more questions about the new plans a couple weeks later and asked that very question and I was told by a different agent I wouldn't lose service. 

One thing to point out about the SIM card delivery, someone has to be home to sign for it. From what I have read it can't be held at a FedEx location or rerouted, it has to go to the address you give.

Another thing is I have read a couple threads of complaints about slower speeds after upgrading and one was just posted yesterday. Otherwise the majority I have read those getting improved speeds including myself. About the speeds, before last October I saw really bad speeds, I mean less than 1Mbps at times during the daytime, a month or so after the new plans rolled out my daytime speeds actually improved to around 15Mbps average, later in the evening, say after 10PM I would see maybe 20 to 25Mbps. Now with the new card in the last week and a half I have been seeing at least 30Mbps to upwards of 40Mbps at times, I do get the occasional reading in the 20's still, maybe 1 in 4 reading. Pings went from 100ms(even as high as 140ms and beyond) average to around 40ms. I am on 4G LTE, no 5G within 150 miles of me. May not be blazing speeds but definitely a huge improvement over what I was getting before last fall.

Hope this helps.

Iโ€™m planning to do the sameโ€”buy a new phone and move the SIM card from old to new. How did it work out for you? Does transferring SIM card bring your contact list  and photographs? 

it does not really work like that. I have tried to do that, move my visible physical sim from my android phone to iPhone, but it does not work there. It catches the visible network, the signal bars are also visible but 'greyed' out and even the LTE sign is showing, but somehow, it does not work; no calls, no texts no Internet. I have tried everything that is given on the net, toggle airplane mode to resetting network settings, all fail. and since there is no helpline or physical service centre, the chatbot/ agent can't really help me with what is going on. 

I am really thinking I need to change my number to some other service provider... and yes, my iPhone is unlocked. 

AwanK
Novice

it is not that simple. I am using the visible sim on an android phone. I have been trying to shift it on an 'unlocked' iPhone but it does not work there. when I do it, it shows it has picked visible network, signal bars are shown but 'greyed' out and LTE sign is also there, but it does not work. I cannot make a call or text or use LTE as well. I tried to get in touch with the visible team via their chat app but they were unable to help as well. whatever text is given on the issue from toggling airplane more on and off to reset network settings, I have done it all and yet it does not work on my iPhone but when I move it back to my old android, it stats working. since there is no helpline number or service centre, I am afraid I am stuck with my old android and will have to change my number or port it out to some other mobile service.