I'm only getting 500 kbps download when downloading a file from browser

VariableGemini
Novice II

Hello, I am wondering what is going on here if we get 5000 kbps (5 Mbps) download speed. It appears that my browser only downloads at a max rate of 500 kbps which is super slow. If it was downloading at close to 5000 kbps (5 Mbps) it wouldn't even be a huge deal. What is going on here?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

upstate-SC
Superuser
Superuser

Ah a common misconception.

mbps = mega bits per second 

is usually the unit of measure in the Speedtest website.

kBps = kilo Bytes per second 

is usually the unit of measure in the downloads section of common web browsers.

the difference is 8 bits = 1 Byte. So the conversion would be 5mbps  or 5000 kbps divided by 8 gives 625 kBps which is close you are getting in actual download speed.

the website that you download from may also have limited bandwidth too. So that may be the reason you arenโ€™t seeing the full potential.

P.S : Please mark this as solution if it helped you.

Just another visible user, willing to help others.
Please mark my answer as solution if it helped you.

View solution in original post

Glad to help. Thank you for marking the answer as solution. I work in tech field, and this is a common misconception.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Oscar92570
Novice II

How are you testing your speed?

VariableGemini
Novice II

I had nothing else running in the background when I downloaded a large file from Google Takeout to see a real-live example of its average download speed. When I do a regular speed test from SpeedTest.net I get 5 Mbps but this certainly does not reflect the 0.5 Mbps (500 kbps) I am receiving as a max... Weird trickery going on here...

upstate-SC
Superuser
Superuser

Ah a common misconception.

mbps = mega bits per second 

is usually the unit of measure in the Speedtest website.

kBps = kilo Bytes per second 

is usually the unit of measure in the downloads section of common web browsers.

the difference is 8 bits = 1 Byte. So the conversion would be 5mbps  or 5000 kbps divided by 8 gives 625 kBps which is close you are getting in actual download speed.

the website that you download from may also have limited bandwidth too. So that may be the reason you arenโ€™t seeing the full potential.

P.S : Please mark this as solution if it helped you.

I appreciate the response. It is amazing what the mind can make you think when you see a number differently. 500 KBps sounds right for the 5 Mbpsโ€”apologies for the nonsense. 

Glad to help. Thank you for marking the answer as solution. I work in tech field, and this is a common misconception.

Oscar92570
Novice II

I use Google speed test. Right now I'm showing 11 mbps and I'm 8 miles from the nearest cell tower.

Does your browser download speed correspond to the speed you get on Speedtest website?

Oscar92570
Novice II

I use Brave and Firefox. Only tests I've done are through Google. Can say though, everything I do online is blazing fast. My wife also and we have different phones and both are on Visible. YouTube. Hulu. Anything. And, this may not matter, but we live off grid.

Good that you are enjoying the service!