International text via wifi

CalisMom
Novice II

I have Visible + and will be traveling to Honduras (Roatan) in the next month. I understand that I can not typically get calls & text (via roaming), but confused if I can still receive or send them while on wifi? I did a live chat and it sounded like I cannot, however previous posts I read seemed to indicate that I can. I understand I can use messenger or e-mail via wifi.  Am still confused as to whether or not I will be able to send or receive texts (or calls) via wifi?  Can someone clarify? I do have wifi calling enabled on my phone. I'm trying to leave contact instructions for pet caretakers and am confused as to what I will be able to do.  Many thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks so much - that is what makes sense to me too. Wish me luck! 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

From what I have read, yes, you can receive and make phone and texts through wi-fi. It has to be enabled before you leave which you have already done. Also, if you shut it off by accident or do a network reset you will not be able to turn it back on. Again, this is just from posts and threads I have read on here and on Visible's Reddit page. 

You did not mention what phone but have read if using a newer iPhone you could also get a data card while in the country you are visiting and have it provide the dat/wi-fi for phone and texting. I don't know how that works so if this is something that might work instead for you maybe do a search for that information.

Good luck on your trip!

Thank you for taking the time to reply - much appreciated! I have a Moto G Stylus 2022. I do have wifi calling turned on which I am hoping will do the trick. However, there is a spot to choose 1 of 2 options for making and receiving calls when outside of the visible network - 1) Prefer other cellular networks 2) Prefer Wi-fi .  Currently it is set to option 1. Since I will not have any cellular networks available in Honduras - I am thinking of changing it before we leave the US to "Prefer Wifi". I am not sure if it makes a difference or not? Hopefully that will help - if not I guess relying on messenger or e-mail is at least something ๐Ÿ™‚

That is what I would do is select 2 for wi-fi. Once you get back then I think you want to switch it back as I think it helps with domestic roaming for when you are in areas that don't have a Verizon signal. Visible does have domestic roaming but it is really limited though from what I read.

Thanks so much - that is what makes sense to me too. Wish me luck! 

You're welcome! Good luck!

It doesn't matter since V+ only covers MX and CND it will still go trough WiFi even if you choose option 1