Motorola Edge 2022 not compatible

BillyD
Novice II

I am trying to upgrade to Visible's new network. I bought a Motorola Edge 2022 from Motorola because it is the same phone that Visible sells and Motorola website said it was compatible. When I tried to upgrade by putting in my IMEI # it said it wasn't compatible. I chat with two different Visible reps and they insist that the phone is not compatible. When I ask what was the difference in the one from Motorola and the one they sell that said theirs is made to work on their new network. I called Motorola and they say that the phone is compatible and the one that Visible sells is the same phone. Does anyone have and information on this? Why does Visible say mine doesn't work when they sell the same phone? My phone is unlocked for all carriers.

3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

I asked customer service this question about a Motorola G Power 2021 I bought from them. I got a few different answer. One was that my phone doesn't have the right technology but they could tell me what that was except maybe had something to do with firmware which was a load of BS because it was updated to Android 11 and security updates were up to date. Another response was they were trying to add as many phones from the old list to the new as fast as possible. Well 6 months later my phone is still not compatible. Another response from yet another agent said that a phone sold by Visible is optimized to their network versus buying it from the manufacturer or somewhere else. So I asked if Visible opens every phone and programs it or optimizes it to their network because I certainly don't believe a manufacturer like Motorola is making the same model phone for every different Carrier and MVNO out their but never got a response to that statement. It boils down to Visible buys a block of phones from Motorola, the IMEI numbers are like in a sequential order and Visible adds them to their database. Any Motorola phone sold outside of Visible will likely show not compatible. Sad part is Verizon owns Visible, the new system now uses Verizon core network system but yet a phone that passes at Verizon won't pass here.

One thing about my noncompatible 2021 phone is I had bought a newer 2022 model on eBay that was sold by Visible earlier last year, only one I could find to pass the checker. Got a card with that IMEI number when it showed up decided to put it in the 2021 phone and I activated it no problem. Whatever technology that customer service said that it didn't have apparently they were wrong. I certainly didn't need a new phone after all. There are ways around the IMEI checker but if you do that it goes against the TOS and a phone that doesn't pass I think is considered unapproved. I was told by customer service that if I had issues with service I would get help. But I used an IMEI number to a legitimate phone to get the card but my account doesn't reflect that so who knows if I will get help on the new phone if something goes wrong.

mlerives1
Novice

We did the same thing; purchased 4 Edge 2022 from Motorola.  After getting the phones, the IMEI number stated that the phones were not compatible.  After chatting, the consensus was that they didn't know why it didn't work, just that it didn't.  We also ordered a G Power 2022 from Motorola which was compatible.  So why does one phone work, but not the other.  It is TOTALLY FRUSTRATING when you get unlocked phones direct from the manufacturer that are not compatible.  It's also frustrating that if you order from Visible you are paying almost double for the phone.  

mlerives1
Novice

We did the same thing; purchased 4 Edge 2022 from Motorola.  After getting the phones, the IMEI number stated that the phones were not compatible.  After chatting, the consensus was that they didn't know why it didn't work, just that it didn't.  We also ordered a G Power 2022 from Motorola which was compatible.  So why does one phone work, but not the other.  Visible didn't have an answer for this either.  It is TOTALLY FRUSTRATING when you get unlocked phones directly from the manufacturer that are not compatible.  It's also frustrating that if you order from Visible you are paying almost double for the phone.  I'll keep searching.