Show My Caller ID setting

whix38
Novice

When I go into my settings and try to toggle “show my caller ID” they’re only a spinning wheel. I know this has been discussed in the past but has there been any solution or is it a feature not available from  visible. 

5 REPLIES 5

RyanBlakeIT
Superuser
Superuser

Hi @whix38, I do not believe it's a feature that Visible supports.

From what I can tell, even Verizon (the parent company of Visible), does not support it.  Instead they support something called "Share Name ID," which only shows up on Verizon Wireless users with a specific feature enabled and Verizon landline numbers.

Ryan Blake - Information Technology Leadership Professional | Superusers are not employees of Visible, but are users just like you.
If someone's post (including mine) solves your issue, please consider marking it as a solution to help others quickly locate solutions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was told cell numbers go through a database and from what I remember Visible doesn't control it but a third party does, the carrier needs to contact them to have it changed. I had Visible customer service fix mine when I came here in July 2021 and took less than 24 hours to display my name. But I think this is for when you call landline phones and not other cell phones. I am not sure but I think the person you call needs to have you in their contacts so when they call it will display who is calling. I could be wrong though. I do know that when someone on a cell calls me it shows a number and no name if they are not in my contacts.

That is spot on.  Level3 handles the CallerID database, but it has to be initiated from the carrier and then, as you mentioned, the downstream carriers have to query for the data to that database and they have to honor the information shared.  Many carriers don't query for the data and a lot of the time the CallerID information is provided by your phone (e.g. Google for Android and Apple for iPhone) in addition to numbers in your contacts list.

Edit: Remembered who handles CallerID database.

Ryan Blake - Information Technology Leadership Professional | Superusers are not employees of Visible, but are users just like you.
If someone's post (including mine) solves your issue, please consider marking it as a solution to help others quickly locate solutions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If I recall CS never told me who handles it, just that all numbers goes through that database and they put in a change ticket for me as I had to spell out my name twice so they got it right. I do know that when I called my home phone and when I first called my brother when I first got my cell number and phone it showed something on the lines of cellular caller or wireless caller. I am by no mean tech savvy so not sure how cell to cell ID's work. I know at least one from a friend I didn't have in my contacts just shows cell number and no name and they are on Verizon I believe.

It appears customer service now has no idea how to change it and I think you need to get a hold of at least a tier 2 agent or higher if that's possible.

rlweiner
Novice

I reached out to my Visible Care agent, who said: "I was able to confirm with our Tier 2 team that we aren't able to proceed with this issue because Visible does not support premium Caller ID services." 

This is very disappointing. My family no longer answers my calls because they don't show my name.  This is a new problem since moving off Verizon.