2.4 GHz or 5 GHz for Mobile Hotspot

VariableGemini
Novice II

I was wondering which band would be better for the mobile hotspot considering we only get 5 Mbps speeds. I understand 5G is faster but has less signal range, while 2G is slower and has a wider signal range. I was curious if using 5G would be counterintuitive because we can only get 5 Mbps speeds anyways. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

upstate-SC
Superuser
Superuser

It all comes down to compatibility of the device that you are connecting through hotspot.

common myths: Congestion of 2.4 GHz vs 5GHz that is not the case it is similar to our radio waves spectrum. Most common carriers operate 4G/5G spectrum that doesnโ€™t mean our cellphone picks up signal from one carrier to other correct?

5GHz is supported in devices that are new (say 3 -4 years old) if you have older devices they may not have capabilities to connect to 5GHz network of WiFi hotspot.

another analogy would be if you have 4G LTE phone and you are in 5G mmWave reception area. Doesnโ€™t mean your 4G LTE phone picks up signal from 5G  mmWave tower correct.

From my knowledge of tweaking with smart plugs and smart bulbs they only have 2.4GHz Wi-Fi adapter.

so my answer for the question is look from the perspective of the device that you connect to hotspot.

P.S Please mark this as solution if it helped you.

Just another visible user, willing to help others.
Please mark my answer as solution if it helped you.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Moxie
Superuser
Superuser

Talking about 2 separate things......

1. In MOST cases 5ghz is faster/better. 

&

2. Right now LTE is much more reliable and consistent then 5g. I set my phone to LTE only, works great!

Best!

If this post has solved your problem, please mark it as an acceptable solution. Thank You!

Additional information needed? https://www.visible.com/help

With this being said, do you think that 5GHz will be less congestion than 2.4 GHz in a case of being surrounded by many other devices in a crowded building?

Airwolf
Superuser
Superuser

Have you tried running a speed test on the tethered device to see what speeds you are actually getting?  If you are getting the full 5Mbps then I think going to 5G would not have any gains in this case.  

If a post has solved your problem, please mark it as an acceptable solution, it helps others that may have experienced a similar issue get a quick resolution.

I have and they both come back very similarly. I am just wondering if the network would be less congested on 5GHz compared to 2.4 GHz.

When you are talking 5Ghz WIFI it is almost always better, particularly when it comes to hot spot as you are more likely to be in very close proximity to the access point/phone while in use. Make sense? 

If this post has solved your problem, please mark it as an acceptable solution. Thank You!

Additional information needed? https://www.visible.com/help

It absolutely makes sense, I seriously appreciate the swift response!

upstate-SC
Superuser
Superuser

It all comes down to compatibility of the device that you are connecting through hotspot.

common myths: Congestion of 2.4 GHz vs 5GHz that is not the case it is similar to our radio waves spectrum. Most common carriers operate 4G/5G spectrum that doesnโ€™t mean our cellphone picks up signal from one carrier to other correct?

5GHz is supported in devices that are new (say 3 -4 years old) if you have older devices they may not have capabilities to connect to 5GHz network of WiFi hotspot.

another analogy would be if you have 4G LTE phone and you are in 5G mmWave reception area. Doesnโ€™t mean your 4G LTE phone picks up signal from 5G  mmWave tower correct.

From my knowledge of tweaking with smart plugs and smart bulbs they only have 2.4GHz Wi-Fi adapter.

so my answer for the question is look from the perspective of the device that you connect to hotspot.

P.S Please mark this as solution if it helped you.

Just another visible user, willing to help others.
Please mark my answer as solution if it helped you.