Can't tether via USB

StevenBrown
Novice III

I'm using a Moto G Pure to connect to Visible. I can connect a computer to the phone via WiFi, but not  USB. When I try to turn on USB tethering, it "checks the subscription" and then refuses to turn the USB tether switch to the On position. It does that whether the hotspot WiFi is On or Off. Is there any solution to this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

StevenBrown
Novice III

I fixed the problem. It turns out the USB cable I was using, the one that came with the phone, is a crummy charge-only cable. When I tried a real USB cable, one that came with an external SSD drive, I was able to turn on USB tethering.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Airwolf
Superuser
Superuser

My guess is that Visible tethering not enabled for USB from the carrier settings.  I have only seen it listed  mobile hotspot not 'tethering', which typically means 'Wi-Fi/Bluetooth' hot spotting not USB.

I am not a expert on this, so these are just my initial thoughts on it, and tryin to get some activity on your thread to see if we can get someone more knowledgeable.

If a post has solved your problem, please mark it as an acceptable solution, it helps others that may have experienced a similar issue get a quick resolution.

StevenBrown
Novice III

I fixed the problem. It turns out the USB cable I was using, the one that came with the phone, is a crummy charge-only cable. When I tried a real USB cable, one that came with an external SSD drive, I was able to turn on USB tethering.