Horrendous ping time, is this “normal”?

Sandy4877
Novice II

Just switched three lines from another Verizon MVNO to Visible.  Never had problems getting pings of 27 to 30 on three different iPhone 13’s in my household. Same three phones on Visible barely get pings under 110. No difference either on 5G or LTE. No difference as well at any location in the general area. Getting full five bars at all locations.  

My question then is, is horrible ping time a normal “feature“ of Visible? I don’t play games on my devices but the slower response on websites can be clearly felt.  One would think if you are hitting the same tower with the same phone at the same times the ping response would be the same unless it’s intentionally slowed down.

I still have one active sim on the other provider (USMobile) and if I switch the sims  between Visible and them on the same device (iPhone 13 Pro Max) the long pings  obviously are on the Visible side. 

I didn’t leave US Mobile due to poor cellular service or cost, I left it for credit card issues with their billing system which dragged on for months. 

4 REPLIES 4

Moxie
Superuser
Superuser

Quick answer.....That's normal.

If you want the very best speeds and ping times you'll need to go full price AT&T, TMobile or Verizon.  

I really don't notice the ping or speed difference anymore...plus I remind myself that I'm paying WAY less then 1/2 price on Visible for the past 2 years.  Seems to work well for most users.

Best.

If this post has solved your problem, please mark it as an acceptable solution. Thank You!

Additional information needed? https://www.visible.com/help

Well.  I accept your "quick answer." which is "It is what it is."  I grudgingly (and temporarily) accept that.  However the "I have to go for a full price service" is 100% wrong and I tried with many examples to prove that  but the system kept saying "I had a bad word" (which I absolutely did not) and couldn't post it.

Airwolf
Superuser
Superuser

From what I understand the ping times you listed are typical for MVNO services, which Visible is.  Stated simply, they have to go through a couple extra routing steps to get data through the system.

The premium tier services (full price), direct form the big three, remove this extra step...

If a post has solved your problem, please mark it as an acceptable solution, it helps others that may have experienced a similar issue get a quick resolution.

When I have my Visible and Verizon (unlimited/post paid) phones side by side loading a web page, youtube, Netflix the difference in speed is negligible. For $25 per month it's worth the extra 75 +/- milliseconds wait to load. 

Tip: set phone to LTE Only for consistent performance and battery life. 

If this post has solved your problem, please mark it as an acceptable solution. Thank You!

Additional information needed? https://www.visible.com/help