Hotspot not working after "Upgrade"

CameraPhone1
Novice II

After swapping out SD cards for the new "Upgrade" I no longer have hotspot on my Samsung Galaxy S10+. It will connect to devices but it all says no internet or limited. I have tried tethering by USB and there is no internet. Phone internet works fine. I even factory reset my phone and it did not work. Hotspot worked fine before the upgrade. I have spent over 12 hours with 10 different agents and they have me all go through the same steps with no success. This has been a major inconvenience. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

CameraPhone1
Novice II

Thank you for the link that finally fixed it after months of struggling with this. What a mess visible made for some in switching. I think this was the APN that finally did it. I added a new one below.

Name: Visible Internet New

APN: VZWINTERNET

MMSC: http://mms.vtext.com/servlets/mms

APN Type: default,dun,supl

APN Protocol: IPv4/IPv6

APN Roaming: IPv4

Bearer: HSPA, GPRS, EDGE, eHRPD, UMTS, LTE, HSPAP, IWLAN, HSDPA, HSUPA

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

GreenSub
Superuser
Superuser

Try static DNS on your test device. Googleโ€™s servers are 8 dot 8 dot 8 dot 8

and 8 dot 8 dot 4 dot 4

Also check the IP address  on your test device after connecting.. If it starts with 169 that is not good.

CameraPhone1
Novice II

Thanks for responding. I my not understand what your your talking about with the static DNS. I changed the setting (Private DNS) on my Galaxy S10+ to a cloudfare DNS (1dot1dot1dot1.cloudflare-dns.com). The hotspot still said limited on other devices with no internet. I checked the registered IP address on the connected device and it started with 192.

If you have a ping app on your device can you ping 8 dot 8 dot 8 dot 8 (sorry Visible has posting restrictions and I can not enter 8.) then try to ping google.com

The 192 is good. The above text will determine if itโ€™s a connectivity issue or just dns.

BTW, Iโ€™ve never seen DNS entered as an domain name, itโ€™s always been an IP address. DNS is what resolves IP names to numeric IPโ€™s. 

I downloaded a ping app on my Galaxy S10+ and was able to ping to both 8 dot 8

dot 8 dot 8 (Avg ttl 114 & Avg time = 47ms) and google.com (Avg ttl 102 & Avg

time = 69ms). Which the mobile network works fine on the phone but the hotspot

is still limited.
So when I run a ping from the command prompt of my PC connected to my limited

hotspot I get:8 dot 8 dot 8 dot 8 (Request timed out) and google.com (ping

request could not find host google.com).

While connected to another phones working hotspot, I ping on my PC, 8 dot 8 dot

8 dot 8 (Avg ttl 113 & Avg time = 62ms) and google.com (Avg ttl 101 & Avg time

= 67ms).

Thanks for all your help with assisting me going through these steps. I really

appreciate it because this has cause me a lot of problems. I have to respond to

these post by getting on someone else's hotspot. I want to keep using visible

because its been great the past 3 years up to this point.

Iโ€™m assuming you are on an Android phone with physical Visible SIM.

The only other item I can think of are the APN settings. Search this forum for post about APN settings. I have yet to see Visible support post an official list of them. I have these in my notes, but can not verify the my are correct. I am on an iPhone with eSIM

APN name: Verizon 2
APN: vzwinternet
MMS port: 80
MCC: 311
MNC: 480
Apn protocol: iPv4/iPv6
Apn roaming protocol: iPv4/iPv6
APN type: default,supl,mms
Leave all other fields blank, and save this configuration.

Restart the phone

My APN settings are locked but they matched what others were in some other forums.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Visible has a policy of one device limit on hotspot. Some phones can work around this while other phones it is enforced on. If you have more than one device connected maybe the issue.  

I changed my hotspot password to kick anything else off to make sure only 1 device was being connected.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I should have read closer to see what phone you are using. There are issues with using an unapproved non compatible device on the new network and you found one of the issues. Good luck.

Tesnv
Novice

I am having the same issue. Zero issues with hotspot before the upgrade. 

CameraPhone1
Novice II

Yep. Let me know if you figure it out. This is very frustrating.

lonestarbuteo
Novice II

I've been avoiding "upgrading" as I have zero issues with my Galaxy S10+ right now. I'm hearing that it just doesn't work on the new network, despite any attempts to change the APNs.

I just joined Visible 1 week ago and I believe I am on the new network. My Hotspot has not worked from day 1 and the support team is still working on it, but I am not very hopefull they will fix this. I have a galaxy s10+ and I think this might be a phone issue but I like my S10+ and don't want to switch. 

Since you are on the old network, you will have to update by September or you will not have Visible anymore according to their instructions. 

Let me know if you find a workaround for the hotspot to work after the upgrade.

Hi AndyP. Did your S10+ pass Visibleโ€™s IMEI checker? Thatโ€™s probably the issue

https://www.visible.com/shop/compatibility

Yes, it says it is compatible.

AndyP
Novice II

Hi, 

I was able to get my hotspot to work on my S10+, I had to add a new APN and use the following settings:

Name:   Visible Internet

APN:   VZWINTERNET

Proxy:   Not set

Port:   Not set

Username:   Not set

Password:   Not set

Server:   Not set

MMSC:   Not set

Multimedia message proxy:   Not set

Multimedia message port:   Not set

MCC:   311

MNC:   480

Authentication type:   Not set

APN type:   default,dun,supl

APN protocol:   IPv4/IPv6

APN roaming protocol:   IPv4

Bearer:   HSPA, GPRS, EDGE, eHRPD, UMTS, LTE, HSPAP, IWLAN, HSDPA, NR, HSUPA

Mobile virtual network operator type:   GID

Mobile virtual network operator value:   BAE1000000000000

Hope this helps,

Andy

Great info

Viscomsite
Novice

Same situation: unlocked moto g stylus 5G worked fine used for teathering a smart tv. Would get buffering at peak cell congestion. Why not update to premium plain? New sim upgrade and no longer allowed to teathering. Upgrade was big downgrade. Wasted many many hours with support.  Finally told your phone is not compatible. Had drop visible and goto Verizon reseller to restore teathering. I suspect visible blocks teathering access from phones that setting are not locked to maximum 1 connection.

Actually it's a longstanding Moto issue on some models with some carriers. One of the reason's I left Moto in the dust several years ago - they couldn't get it straight and is but one reason some Moto models show as incompatible on Visible.

Bosshoss
Novice

Try using a proxy app on the phone (Every Proxy) is the one I use.It will set up a connection and then you just have to input those values into the device that you are using to connect, Works great.There is a tutorial on youtube on EveryProxy.

CameraPhone1
Novice II

I even went out and got another Galaxy S10+ and still no hotspot.

Many have reported on the Visible subreddit that itโ€™s the APN settings.

Check out this link

https://www.reddit.com/r/Visible/comments/1260tt7/here_are_the_apns_that_worked_for_me/

CameraPhone1
Novice II

Thank you for the link that finally fixed it after months of struggling with this. What a mess visible made for some in switching. I think this was the APN that finally did it. I added a new one below.

Name: Visible Internet New

APN: VZWINTERNET

APN Type: default,dun,supl

APN Protocol: IPv4/IPv6

APN Roaming: IPv4

Bearer: HSPA, GPRS, EDGE, eHRPD, UMTS, LTE, HSPAP, IWLAN, HSDPA, HSUPA