IP connected address

weilmd
Novice

Thinking of joining Visible but have a question.  

Our local PBS station is only allowed to live stream within their local IP address area.  I found this out when changing from Spectrum internet to TMobile's new 5G home internet.  When on the TM, my local station is not available; instead, I get stations over 200 miles away from me, and the IP seems to change so that the nearest station now is over 500 miles away.

Does  Visible, using the Verizon backbone, use a local IP address for the connected server (like Spectrum does) or a random IP addres (like TMobile does)?

5 REPLIES 5

Airwolf
Superuser
Superuser

Since Visible is a MVNO, I would suspect that your location may change often depending on what server you are connecting or being routed through.  I just checked mine, and I live in a Midwest state, but my public ip on LTE is showing it is from California via some websites.

If a post has solved your problem, please mark it as an acceptable solution, it helps others that may have experienced a similar issue get a quick resolution.

upstate-SC
Superuser
Superuser

I think it depends on where visible have setup the routers. I live in upstate SC, my IP address is also not my location. It is elsewhere.

Hope this helps.

Just another visible user, willing to help others.
Please mark my answer as solution if it helped you.

RyanBlakeIT
Superuser
Superuser

@weilmd Most carriers use multiple exit nodes throughout the United States.  Think of it like the cellular system is a big private network (like your house in a sense, except it's as large as the lower 48 ๐Ÿ˜€) with a few different exit points that go out to the internet.  So, depending on load, you may exit somewhere semi-close or somewhere across the country (and depending on the destination you are trying to reach).  All wireless carriers are going to do this.  If the solution you have supports it, it can query your current GPS location from your phone to determine which stations to make available to you.

Ryan Blake - Information Technology Leadership Professional | Superusers are not employees of Visible, but are users just like you.
If someone's post (including mine) solves your issue, please consider marking it as a solution to help others quickly locate solutions.

@RyanBlakeIT This is a very helpful explanation.  Thank you!

If a post has solved your problem, please mark it as an acceptable solution, it helps others that may have experienced a similar issue get a quick resolution.

VisibleRocks
Superuser
Superuser

Sorry to tell you this, but I'm also from the Midwest and I'm getting an IP location of California too.