Service Capability & Options in Europe

BCOS
Novice

I've been reading posts about service overseas. I have an iPhone 11, and just want to make sure I understand what services I can expect to work.

I realize that my Visible service won't work there as it does in the US. I have enabled WiFi calling. So... when I'm connected to WiFi, I will be able to make and receive calls using my US-based Visible number, correct?

What about texting? Will texts made to my Visible number come through over WiFi? Our group of travelers has a couple of Android users, and I know that while in the US, mixing Androids and iPhones means that without cellular data, I can't receive group messages. I'm trying to figure out if I need to set up a Google Voice number (or something like that) for texting while there. What I don't want is for the group to make dinner plans via text and to not have the capacity to receive them, etc.

I've looked into purchasing a Flexiroam international data package - 8 days, esim, 3GB, $8.50. My visible connection is via esim. I just set up my Visible account a few weeks ago, and that was the first time I used an esim. Can I only have one esim running at once? Will it mess up my Visible WiFi calling capacity to also be trying to use Flexiroam? The whole esim thing is a little mysterious to me. lol

3 REPLIES 3

RyanBlakeIT
Superuser
Superuser

Hi @BCOS - I've been overseas with my Visible service and here are some pointers:

• I would always recommend having a backup Google Voice number set up in case all else fails
  • Signing up for a second eSIM is supported with iPhone 11
  • As a result, I would recommend getting that data plan and activating it right before you leave the states to make sure it works.
  • I would also highly recommend setting up and making sure that WiFi calling works before you leave the country so you don't have to fight issues once you get there

I went to France for a couple of weeks and overall had no issues with the WiFi calling along with the data eSIM.  Your phone should ask you if you want to use the new eSIM for data only, select yes and that should get you going.

Hope this helps!

Ryan Blake - Information Technology Leadership Professional | Superusers are not employees of Visible, but are users just like you.
If someone's post (including mine) solves your issue, please consider marking it as a solution to help others quickly locate solutions.

Thanks for that info! Very helpful!

Iโ€™m now in Spain, and things are mostly working, however, I donโ€™t seem to be able to turn on both esimo simultaneously. I can either connect to WiFi and use my Visible number that way to talk or text, or I can turn on my international data esim, which nixes my ability to use my Vidible number because it is automatically turned off when I turn the cellular data on.

The Visible is CDMA and the Flexiroam esim uses Movistar, which appears to be GSM.

My phone is an iPhone 11 Pro Max.

Any tips on turning both on at once?

Happy to help!  Here's a link to Apple's guide on using dual SIM.  Looks like you can set it up so you can use both simultaneously and prefer Visible for your calls and texts.  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044

Ryan Blake - Information Technology Leadership Professional | Superusers are not employees of Visible, but are users just like you.
If someone's post (including mine) solves your issue, please consider marking it as a solution to help others quickly locate solutions.