mandatory phone upgrade questions

Sparky_R
Novice

Hey all,

Visible is telling me I need to upgrade my phone(s) by May 4th to continue service.  Will my current phone(s) stop working?  I have 3 in my household, none of which are 5g.  The ones I want to purchase are also out of stock.  Can I purchase from Amazon and still get the virtual gift card? I have 3 in my household, each with their own account.  Will everyone get a gift card?  Also how do I know if the amazon phone(even it it's the same model offered by visible)will work on Visible network? If anyone has any insight please advise!  I like Visible but not being able to talk with an agent can be a pain!

Thanks,

Ron

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Phones do not have to be 5G to work on Visible. I live in an area with no 5G and no 5G phone.

Service on the old plan will continue beyond May 4th but for how long, Visible hasn't put a deadline on it but that old system the party pay plan is on will eventually be shut down some time this year.

Not sure what virtual gift card you are referring to but if Visible sent you something read the fine print. It is tied to buying from Visible and certain restrictions apply.

Depends on the manufacturer of the phone you are buying from Amazon. I know for a fact that Motorola phones bought anywhere other than Visible won't pass the compatibility checker. Motorola makes phone programmed specifically for Visible. They have a unique model number on those phones. As far as Samsung phones I don't know if buying outside of Visible if they will show compatible. Will they work on Visible if they don't pass the IMEI/compatibility checker? Likely but they would be considered an unapproved phone and if you need help from customer service they told me straight out I would not get it.

Newer iPhones such as the SE 2020 and 11 and newer I know will pass the campatibility checker and from my research it appears Google Pixel phones will also because I was consider buying a Pixel recently as I thought the phone I just got the battery was going bad already and past warranty. They need to be unlocked of course.

What a mess

I have an Andriod A42 Phone

I'm being told that even with a new sim card My currant pphone won't work

I'm trying to figure out how long I have till they cut off the old network new phone is not in the expense budget for Me right now 

the lack of information is extremely frustrating

This is not being handled well at all from a customer standppoint

Sparky_R
Novice

Thanks for the info.  I am currently in the party pay plan.  So if I upgrade I have to choose a 'new' plan also right?  Which would kick me out of the party pay plan.  

Are people having issues with losing service on their current phone when switching to the new phone?  Thought I've seen this posted elsewhere.  Losing service until a new phone arrives is not an option. 

Thanks,

Ron 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, you chose one of the new plans, make sure to add the discount code SPRING, I think is the latest one, to get the discount. Once you activate the card you are removed from the party, the party column on your account will disappear. 

You will not lose service after ordering the SIM card. I only lost service for the 5 minutes or so it took for activating the new card. Those that are losing service had customer service send a SIM for an issue. For some reason if customer service sends a SIM they deactivate the current one being used.

Edit: one thing to add, when you do finally get the card or before you attempt activation search for the activation instruction in the help section and read through them. make sure to follow step by step. I did this so I wouldn't mess up and the activation went smooth for me. Only hiccup was I had no data and didn't realize when I switched SIM's the mobile data button turned off.

AmishFury
Novice III

Here is what I would do. Scout the visible list of phones then go into a best buy. Ask if you can see an unboxed phone, or even a display model, to get the IMEI number to check. Make sure it's an unlocked phone. Then buy and double check the IMEI number before opening each phone, then activate. I did that before buying a new phone there.