Getting a sim card while traveling overseas

SusanDeVira
Novice

Hi -

I live in New Zealand and am travelling to the USA on Friday.

I would like to buy sim cards using your plan for my son's phones.

I entered the IMEI number and was told it wasn't valid.

Can you help?

3 REPLIES 3

Moxie
Superuser
Superuser

I assume your current phone was purchased in New Zealand? I know Visible offers a limited amount of devices that are compatible with the service and I imagine they are given a list by manufacturers (Samsung, Google, apple, etc.) of the devices (IMEIs) that are sold in the United States.  That is mostly the issue, however I am not 100% curtain..anyone want to clarify?

I have heard that phones that came up as not IMEI registered with visible were still able to get service and work normally.

Best!

If this post has solved your problem, please mark it as an acceptable solution. Thank You!

Additional information needed? https://www.visible.com/help

Some people tried it and it worked and for some people it didn't work it's a 50  50 

I can recommend something else that should work tello.com

Anonymous
Not applicable

International model numbers are distinctly different than US models; however, the problem I see is getting a SIM . When ordering, the first thing you go through is the compatibility check. Having ordered a SIM kit through Best Buy, there was no compatibility check. However it was the first thing checked on activation before proceeding. Even then and despite a compatible phone, activation failed and after 11  days still no resolution. I'd say look for other alternatives given the activation issues Visible is having and no real support