4G Works Great 5G marginally useful - Area Related

viscomfl
Novice

I have visible cell phones.  One is used in an area that has highly reliable 4G coverage and marginal 5G coverage.  Problem is the phone switches to 5G on occasion and most everything I'm doing is so slow that it is maddening, even stalling for a few minutes.

Is there a way to force the phone into 4G mode?  I have a Samsung A14, and an A15

In most all other areas I travel this is not a problem but where I stay most in summer the phone is only reliable on the internet when it is indicating in 4G mode.

I simply want to turn or force the phone to stay in 4G while I'm in some locations, and send back to normal operation while I'm elsewhere. -- HELP, and thank you!

• 5g
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

VisiblyPresent
Intermediate III

Unfortunately, Samsung disabled the ability to switch bands or force network based on a carriers settings. Specfically carriers like Visible/Verizon want to control the network configuration. You might want to look for an app on the google Play Store to do it - there was one I used for this purpose called Samsung Band Selection that worked for a while on my S21 but no longer does. I know what you mean though, it was frustrating and at the time I was on TMobile. Since moving to Visible, I only get 4G anyway in my area.

Some on reddit have also claimed that turning on battery saver works.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

VisiblyPresent
Intermediate III

Unfortunately, Samsung disabled the ability to switch bands or force network based on a carriers settings. Specfically carriers like Visible/Verizon want to control the network configuration. You might want to look for an app on the google Play Store to do it - there was one I used for this purpose called Samsung Band Selection that worked for a while on my S21 but no longer does. I know what you mean though, it was frustrating and at the time I was on TMobile. Since moving to Visible, I only get 4G anyway in my area.

Some on reddit have also claimed that turning on battery saver works.

TickleSilly
Novice

I have the same problem.  Visible hijacks my Motorola Edge 2022 in a way that prevents me from manually switching to 4g.  I've tried all the apps out there, and all they really do is take you to the *#*#4636#*#* menu which is greyed out.  I got better connectivity on my old Moto G7 power!  I've contemplated buying a Motorola G Play simply to eliminate 5g altogether, but why should I have to?

Since they're now throttling to 30GB I'm contemplating switching carriers altogether at this point.

Understand.  I've found in larger population areas the 5G seems fine, but as I travel, the switching back and forth by my Samsung A14 and A15 is a bit maddening.  In some instances I observe the phone switching from 4G to 5G back to 4G and back to 5G all within the span of 30 minutes, and during the course of a day several times.  The only reliable access in one of my home locations is 4G.  The phone switching to 5G when it wants literally all but shuts down my internet until the phone for some reason switches back to 4G.  Thanks all for the comments - very helpful.

Visible doesn't throttle the data speeds. I don't get the fastest speeds where I am at because I am on the base plan but just ran a speed test at 37.3Mbps down. A little higher than usual since school is out for the summer. Ran one in the late hours the other night and got 45Mbps, been as high as 158Mbps but that was a luck shot and within a couple miles of the tower. I live quite far from the tower and only get one to two bars which puts a hamper on speeds.