Any Tips to Get Cellular Data Working on Port in on iPhone 12 Pro Max w/iOS 15.3?

Winnie1874
Novice II

Hi everyone,

I'll spare you the details, but I'm close to 48 hours after an activation with port in (from US Mobile where I was on Verizon's network) to Visible. Cellular data is not working and despite numerous chat sessions with Visible support staff (all of whom have been pleasant) and a phone call in the middle of the night last night during which I was told "it can take up to six business days" to address the issue I am facing, there is no end in sight to the issue.

I have been able to get by on WiFi at the house but I'm traveling across country on Tuesday and the thought of doing so without data/GPS is pretty much a non starter.

I've checked and cross checked all the typical settings, pulled the SIM card, powered off, waited and powered back on numerous times in the hope that during one such sequence, service would become available. As that's not worked to this point, I thought I'd ask the members here for any insight into how I can get this issue addressed quickly. Thanks in advance for any feedback that could help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Winnie1874
Novice II

In case it helps anyone else in the future, I resolved the issue on my side. here's how:

I remembered that US Mobile had me download and install a custom APN when I activated the phone on their service. I went and checked the APN settings on my phone and saw it was still running the US Mobile APN. I deleted the APN, reset the network settings, powered down the phone, removed the SIM, waited a few minutes, reinstalled the SIM, powered up the phone and guess what? I have data! To check if a custom APN is still installed (on an iPhone) go to Settings > General > (scroll all the way down to) VPN & Device Management > and if you have an APN installed it will be listed with an option to delete it. Try deleting the APN and performing the procedure above and if you are like me, your data issue will be resolved.

Visible staff: on a port in from a VZ MVNO, please add to your standard troubleshooting process for no data the above line of inquiry. It could save you a lot of time and a lot of good will. It will probably save you some customers jumping ship too. I was about to port out. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Winnie1874
Novice II

In case it helps anyone else in the future, I resolved the issue on my side. here's how:

I remembered that US Mobile had me download and install a custom APN when I activated the phone on their service. I went and checked the APN settings on my phone and saw it was still running the US Mobile APN. I deleted the APN, reset the network settings, powered down the phone, removed the SIM, waited a few minutes, reinstalled the SIM, powered up the phone and guess what? I have data! To check if a custom APN is still installed (on an iPhone) go to Settings > General > (scroll all the way down to) VPN & Device Management > and if you have an APN installed it will be listed with an option to delete it. Try deleting the APN and performing the procedure above and if you are like me, your data issue will be resolved.

Visible staff: on a port in from a VZ MVNO, please add to your standard troubleshooting process for no data the above line of inquiry. It could save you a lot of time and a lot of good will. It will probably save you some customers jumping ship too. I was about to port out.