Idea for cellular gaming service: low ping generic joystick traffickerd

56ok
Novice III
  • I have an idea for an invention that would have been made if it were not for the head of a small company liking my idea and then dying.

The idea is to use cellular phone in push to talk mode as a low ping generic video game server.

The good news about this is that every game, assuming it could be played two or more players locally one one screen locally, can be networked without programming individual net code for each individual game.  Which means that all classic games from all the old video game systems will suddenly work plus modern games don't have to dedicate any teams to programming special online modes because if they have a local multiplayer mode it'll be there by default. 

If I'm allowed to I'd like to promote my websites where I printed my provisional patent. 

Obviously nothing comes for free and there are two big weaknesses.  The first is, push to talk data only works while you're on the same cellular network.  (If Visible or Verizon have it then it could be an exclusive feature that draws people to those two respective companies who are corporate cousins of each other.  So business-wise that might be a bad thing turned good.) The second is a 2400 km limit between the furthest of the two participants.

Keith Robinson of Intellivision, got me in touch with Steve Roney his main tech guy a few days before he died And Keith asked Steve "Could you do this? Is the technology already there?"

Steve answered, back in the late 2010s, If he was guaranteed that the whole nation is at least at 3G speeds meaning 500 kilobits innound 200 kilobits outbound while still having the same lightning quick ping times of 1 millisecond for every 300 km of distance traveled, Steve could easily do it. 

So I called Tex Tiexera, The engineering executive at Sprint, while they were still a company.  He told me that Direct Connect has the same speed in terms of megabits per second as regular cellular internet. The only difference is in order to get the quick ping times you have to clear a path, and that takes 30 seconds before you establish a connection.

After I found that out, the next day I found out Keith died.  Then we got many years of Tommy Talerico and the Amico and at first embracing natural games but then certain religious bookstores wanted to carry the Amico and were giving money and one of the clauses for that money was a prohibition on online gameplay, despite the fact that most of its games and its service was being carried through the internet.    They believe the internet is "stranger danger territory" and money speaks and I don't have it so I couldn't bid on behalf of  the networking , nor was I informed to have a chance to get some cellular company to help fund it.

Well,  Tommy failed,  Intellivision is now owned by Atari, and Sprint is split up between T-Mobile and Dish Network and a couple of other interested parties. 

As a tangential subject why would Dish Network want to pick up a cellular network yet not use it to get people cellular internet in areas that are in data deserts?  They want you to subscribe to that high ping satellite internet, And realize that's a liability but their cellular web service doesn't have home cellular internet in data deserts, which you think would compliment a satellite TV company.

So we got a bunch of companies who think it's kind of a good idea but are looking for support from other parts of other industries.  Sprint said they would have done it but needed help from someone in the gaming industry.  Atari would have taken it except they were worried about the legalities of whether automatically networking an Activision 2600 game would be legal to do without their permission.

A lot of people want to jump in, but don't want to be the first.

So as far as the business people are concerned this would be a good opportunity to make Verizon, Visible and other carriers that use Verizon network have something the blue network and the magenta network don't have, Or if it is going to be universal throughout the whole cellular network, have Verizon be in charge of the inter-switching between push to talk networks.

0 REPLIES 0