Xiaomi Redmi note 8 pro?

MrsJennyK
Novice II

I have a foreign exchange student coming to live with me from Turkey. She has a Xiaomi Redmi note 8 pro currently with an esim card in it, which I know won't work with Visible. Is it possible it could work with another card in it?

5 REPLIES 5

Hawks
Novice II

Unfortunately, Xiaomi phones are GSM only and won't work with CDMA carriers like Visible, Verizon, US Cellular, and the like. I recommend getting a physical SIM card from Mint Mobile or some other GSM MVNO, which will be a cheaper option than AT&T or T-Mobile postpaid.  That way, the student can use their same phone and not have to purchase another phone. Good luck to you!

Thank you for this idea. I put in my address at Mint and it said that coverage for my address is "fair" which makes me a little nervous. I wonder if fair is good enough or if we will end up regretting that.

My phone has GSM mode as well as CDMA and global and visible still says it's not compatible. They can't tell me why. Does anybody know?

beav
Superuser
Superuser

If you have an old phone, you could do the swap for this phone:

https://www.visible.com/shop/smartphones/blade-a3-prime/?sku=Z5157VS

The swap would be free if the old phone meets Visible's requirements.

If a post has solved your problem, please mark it as an acceptable solution, it helps others that may have experienced a similar issue get a quick resolution.

Thank you for the idea, but it won't work for her phone because when we put in the number it says it's not compatible.