Do I have to buy a new phone?

gbeezley
Novice

I received an email and a text message saying that I am required to get a new phone to continue service.  I understand that Visible is moving to 5G and encouraging users to have a 5G-compatible phone, but my question is, "Am I required to upgrade my phone?"  My Galaxy S8 works fine for my needs and I would like to continue using it at least for now.  Does anyone know when all the 4G phones will turn into paperweights?

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Visible has been 5G since I started in 2021. You do not require a 5G phone just to use Visible since it still uses 4G LTE and will likely use it for another decade. Visible is only shutting down the old system that the old party pay plan runs on. They have not set a date yet but will be sometime this year. It seems like they have cleared the database for the compatibility checker for most, but not all, Android phone made before 2022. Even my Motorola G Power 2021 I bought here showed not compatible. I bought a new phone and when my SIM card showed up I activated it in my 2021 phone without issue so I actually didn't need a new phone even though Visible said it wouldn't work. I don't know if your phone will work or not on the new system that Visible uses which is the core system Verizon uses.

I joined under the old party plan.  I wonder if that will have any impact on my service?

Anonymous
Not applicable

The only impact on your service will be when they shut down the old party plan system. It hasn't been announced as I mentioned but when it happens and you have not upgraded you will lose service. The new system was a slight improvement on data speeds for me, everything else works the same as it did on the old system.

PhonyFalcon
Novice

I just got a physical letter saying that I "need a newer phone to continue service on our new upgraded network." This letter is inviting me to get a free non-flagship device that meets their requirement, which makes it challenging to differentiate the requirement from the promotion.

My current phone is a OnePlus 8 that I purchased from visible when I joined a year and a half ago.  I appreciate that visible and Verizon still use and will continue to support 4G LTE technology, but the messaging seems communicate the opposite of @Anonymous's comment, that visible in requiring me to use a 5G phone. 

I would love clarification from visible as to what is actually required.  I appreciate promotions, but the combined messaging muddies the message.

PhonyFalcon
Novice

I just got a physical letter from visible indicating that I "...need a newer phone to contiue service on our new upgraded network."  This letter also includes a promotion to take advantage of a free non-flagship no-name brand device that satisfies their requirement, a phone I have little interest in using from online reviews.

While I appreciate that visible and Verizon have and will continue to leverage 4G LTE technology, this letter seems to contradict @Anonymous's comment that users can continue using visible without upgrading to a new device.

I would love some clarification from visible about this, ideally something that specifies what devices are compatible and why.  While a appreciate promotions to alleviate the cost of change, the combined messaging muddies the requirement.

lonestarbuteo
Novice II

I mean, in a practical way, they are forcing consumers to use 5G by requiring a 2022+ manufactured phone.