Want to use Pixel 4a with GrapheneOS with Visible, but Visible App won't run

TJ
Novice

I want to use my Pixel 4a with Visible with the GrapheneOS. The OS is working great and by design doesn't use Google Play Services. I loaded Visible but it won't run. Have you heard of anyone getting GrapheneOS to run the Visible app? Or can I be on Visible cell service without the app? Has anyone heard of a work around.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there!

We don't have any information at this time regarding that operating system, so we wouldn't be able to guarantee that your Visible service will work with it. However, you will need the Visible app to activate the service for your Visible SIM.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there!

We don't have any information at this time regarding that operating system, so we wouldn't be able to guarantee that your Visible service will work with it. However, you will need the Visible app to activate the service for your Visible SIM.

Is it possible to activate the sim on another phone or computer and then use it on grapheneOS?

overlock
Novice III

You donโ€™t need the app on the phone for service to work but beyond that I donโ€™t know. 

I run grapheneos on a pixel 6 without issues. No google play services required as long as you use a physical sim. For esim, you need to run sandboxed play services.

jimbogamer
Novice

Found a working solution. Support said activation was only possible through the app, so heres what worked for me as of June 2022 on a Pixel 4a in Google Play sandbox mode.

- Go to the Apps app (lol)

- Search for Google

- Install the apps in this order:

• Google Services Framework (com.google.android.gsf)
  • Google Play services (com.google.android.gms)
  • Google Play Store (com.android.vending)

- Reboot

- Enable Privileged eSIM management in Settings โž” Network & Internet โž” Privileged eSIM management (unsure if this is required but, its what I did)

- Reboot

- Open the Google Play store and download the Visible app. Alternative sources did not work. YMMV.

- Launch the visible app and go through the activation

- Reboot

- Pet your dog/cat and enjoy

Additional details here: https://grapheneos.org/usage#sandboxed-google-play

Hope this helps someone out there ๐Ÿ™‚

jimbogamer
Novice

Found a working solution. Support said activation was only possible through the app, so heres what worked for me as of June 2022 on a Pixel 4a in Google Play sandbox mode.

- Go to the Apps app (lol)

- Search for Google

- Install the apps in this order:

• Google Services Framework (com.google.android.gsf)
  • Google Play services (com.google.android.gms)
  • Google Play Store (com.android.vending)

- Reboot

- Enable Privileged eSIM management in Settings โž” Network & Internet โž” Privileged eSIM management (unsure if this is required but, its what I did)

- Reboot

- Open the Google Play store and download the Visible app. Alternative sources did not work. YMMV.

- Launch the visible app and go through the activation

- Reboot

- Pet your dog/cat and enjoy

Additional details here: https://grapheneos.org/usage#sandboxed-google-play

Hope this helps someone out there ๐Ÿ™‚