Pixel 4a 5G esim and 5G?

My old 4a died and I was given a 4a 5G from a friend.  It started life as a T-mobile phone.  It is unlocked and I am using my old visible sim and it seems to work on the network fine.  But only LTE, no 5G. Is this phone not able to get 5G on visible?

I tried using the app to get an esim.  Everything I've read seems to point that this phone should be able to get an esim, but after I input the imei number it tells me that the imei is not available. 

So no esim, no 5G for this phone?

• 5g
4 REPLIES 4

Check settings to see if somewhere it is set to 4G only. Issue also might be that it is from 2020, a lot of android phone manufactured before 2021 might run into issues working on the Visible network. Since the upgrade from the cloud based system to the Verizon core system coming up on two years ago some phone have had issues working on the network. Not sure if that is the case with your phone though, usually the issues reported are visual voicemail, hotspot or even not being able to get data.

I couldn't find any sort of network setting to turn on/off 5g.  I've seen other forums where folks say they are able to get thier 4a 5G to work on visible 5G, but maybe that was because thier phone started as a verizon phone? I haven't had any issues with voicemail or hotspots or any other functionality, just don't get 5G.  Not a huge deal as that's what I'm used to, but it would be nice if it would get faster speeds.  Anyone from visible read these forums?  If so, can you tell me if this phone should get 5G?

No one from Visible is in this community, just other customers or potential customers looking for answers.

Edit: If you are on Reddit try asking this on the Visible Reddit page. 

Gotcha... I'll see if I can contact them and report back here if I find anything.  Thanks for the help!