Visible+, Roaming On or Off?

GreenSub
Superuser
Superuser

I took the plunge and upgraded to Visible+ today.

iPhone SE 2022 with eSIM. The upgrade went fine.

I noted in the cellular profile that Roaming is turned Off.

To utilize all the features of Visible+, should Roaming be On?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JJZ109
Intermediate III

Found here: Visible Evolution FAQs

"Q: How will my service improve if I switch?
Visible started out focusing on the Verizon 4G LTE Network, over time this evolved to 5G. Switching to the new Visible plans and the new network provides Members access to all of the great things coming in the future, including a better 5G experience.

Members can access a premium network experience including extended coverage areas and new roaming capabilities, meaning there will be more places where youโ€™ll have network access."

and this:

"Q: What comes with roaming? How does it work?
Roaming doesnโ€™t mean more cost, it means you have extended coverage. With Visibleโ€™s new and improved network, youโ€™ll have expanded access to additional places including rural areas in the US."

I would enable roaming.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

JJZ109
Intermediate III

Found here: Visible Evolution FAQs

"Q: How will my service improve if I switch?
Visible started out focusing on the Verizon 4G LTE Network, over time this evolved to 5G. Switching to the new Visible plans and the new network provides Members access to all of the great things coming in the future, including a better 5G experience.

Members can access a premium network experience including extended coverage areas and new roaming capabilities, meaning there will be more places where youโ€™ll have network access."

and this:

"Q: What comes with roaming? How does it work?
Roaming doesnโ€™t mean more cost, it means you have extended coverage. With Visibleโ€™s new and improved network, youโ€™ll have expanded access to additional places including rural areas in the US."

I would enable roaming.

I need service in an area that's showing "extended coverage" on Visible's coverage map (Fish Creek, WI). I don't see any explicit mention of whether extended coverage is included in the new plans or not though aside from this thread and your link to the FAQs. I chatted with customer service to confirm we'd have access to service there but was told we wouldn't because the extended network isn't included with any Visible plan. Did that agent just have it wrong?!

We have the old unlimited plans and would lose service for about 30 minutes driving to Fish Creek, WI from Minneapolis, MN and get very sporadic service when we got there, but now we lose service for about 2.5 hours on the drive and have zero service there. I would happily stay with Visible if the new plans resolve this issue, otherwise we were looking into switching to Spectrum Mobile they include Verizon's extended network. 

drumguy1384
Novice II

Roaming has nothing to do with your services while on the Visible network. What roaming allows you to do is to "roam" onto other providers' towers when not in range of a Visibile (Verizon) tower. Since I assume Verizon has suitable roaming agreements with the other major carriers to provide service it shouldn't hurt to enable roaming, however it will not improve your services while on-network.

Visible likely has no roaming agreements.  You will find VISIBLE provides only 2G domestic roaming in limited area, long term domestic roaming is NOT supported  If you read their legal disclaimer, provided after they get your money.  In that legal blurb they give a link to visible help site, yet NOTHING is in there about domestic roaming.  

drumguy1384
Novice II

Roaming does nothing for your services while connected to the Visible (Verizon) network. What it does is allow you to "roam" onto other providers' towers if there is no Verizon tower available. The system will still prefer on-network towers, even if another tower is better. However, enabling roaming will get you coverage in areas where Verizon doesn't have coverage ... though at possibly lower performance.