Proposed new Data Desert clause

56ok
Novice III

I have talked about this privately with various people at Visible.

They network maps and math people said this clause would help people like me lots, and hurt normal users so little, it's almost unnoticable.

The clause is" if one is stationary for thirty minutes or more, and one is stationary on a data desert, (defined as a land plot with zero available land based broadband providers of at least 25 Mb/s in, 3 Mb/s out, and less than 150 ms ping) then Visible will either raise the speed limit of the hotspot to either 25 Mb/s or (depending on negotiations with Verizon, [Visible's network source] and the FCC)  as fast and far  as the network will take you assuming all other priority rules are in place.

The fact that one must be stationary and in a data desert combined prevents unlimited draining of the network.  Regular cellular activity is unaffected.  Hot spot activity while in motion is unaffected.  This is supposed to be a target way to get internet to places that have one monopoly  sub-broadband carrier choice for hone internet.

Let's just say when DSL was fist offered in 2013, it wasn't legally broadband when first offered, at 1.6 Mb/s in, 400kb/s out at a time when broadband was 3 M in, 1 M out.  Now basic broadband is 25 M in, 3 M out.  And Visible carries enough outbound speed on their hotspots to be broadband.  (It's that inbound speed that's tough)

Apparently home use of cellular internet was regulated since 2010.  It was somewhat loosened as of the T-Mobile/Sprint merger.  Visible is the phoenix that rose from Sprint's ashes indirectly.

The government is now listening to ways cellular internet can help people like me.  If we xan demonstrate a major benefit compared to its harm, the government will alliw such clauses.

Visible's network "Maps and Math team" said it shoukd be a policy they take up.

However, they need permission from Verizon, (Visible's network source) and the FCC, the regulators of cellular internet, in order to implement the plan.

The Visible mangers said I uniquely thought of GPS verification of stasis and Data Desert locations, but it would help people besides me.

If it would help you too, post here.  I want to see if there are any fellow Network Limbo Champions.  I can go 1.6 M/400 k.  

Also I want some opinions of "more traditonal" Visible users as well, (as a mobile phone, as a network for a cellular device, etc.). Is it worth slowing down from 80 M to 75 M if a home person who otherwise is at 1.6 M/400k at home can actually go broadband speeds?

I don't want to compete in the Broadbandapolis 500 G.  I just don't want an Amish buggy as my only possible vehicle on the information superhighway.

2 REPLIES 2

smgrinus
Intermediate

I'm in the same situation as you are and I'm sure many others are as well. There is no home internet from any provider in rural communities like the one I'm currently at that are mostly farmland and the closest neighbour is a mile away or more. 

It is difficult at best to work from home that involves teleconferencing or anything that involves internet use. I appreciate what I get off the hotspot but it doesn't even work for watching a video at 480p without buffering. But, I also haven't found anyone better than Visible either so there is that. I was getting much better speeds when I first signed up but with 2022 rolling out, speeds seem to be getting worse, not better.

56ok
Novice III

The idea is to surgically get broadband to people with only sub-broadband options for land internet (or even just dial up).

The "guaranteed minimum hotspot speed" (subject to traffic and priority) of 5 M in 5 M out at 4G ping of less than 100 ms is enough to play Xbox online games.

You can even play Nintendo Switch online vs real human opponents  while riding in a car.

But the one thing we can do that tourists cannot is stay still for 30 minutes or longer while using our hotspot.  That's a way we can prove we are data desert dwellers.

But if you're a tourist, you can still use 5 M in/ 5 M out hotspot.

Also if you have a family member and or friend in a data desert, you can use the faster hotspot once you settle down for 30 minutes.

With the T-Mobile Sprint merger, more creative ways to use cellular to rain on the data deserts are allowed by the federal governnent.

Anyone know if the 2021 Federal infrastructure act curbed cellular usage, just like 2010 when Sprint hit a wall of regulation?