Service in U.S Virgin Islands?

Robertb
Novice

The title really says it all - I’m traveling to the U.S Virgin Islands soon, and I want to ensure that I’ll have cellular service for the trip, without being overcharged or anything of that sort (if there’s an extra fee I will need to pay I’m open to that) - if it changes anything, I currently have the Visible+ plan.

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

According to Visible's International Services (https://www.visible.com/help/international-services) for the Visible+ plan, "service is available in the continental U.S. including Alaska and Hawaii. Members can make unlimited calls and texts to and from Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam and Saipan."

For the Visible Unlimited and Visible plans, service from the USVI is not available. just to the USVI from the US.

That is not correct. Visible + has service while visiting the US Virgin Islands. I verified with a customer service rep. Also, this is on their webpage:  Data speeds are reduced to 2G after 0.5 GB/day.
Talk, text and use unlimited data when traveling in Mexico and Canada, plus the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. Data speeds are reduced to 2G after 0.5 GB/day.

I have also contacted a Visible rep and they stated to use WIFI when traveling to the USVI.  Service does not work while in the USVI, however, Calls can be made to the USVI while you are currently in the US. 

A local sim is required when you are outside of the US. 

Local SIM Service

Swap out your Visible SIM card for a local SIM when you need mobile services while traveling internationally! Make sure to keep your Visible SIM card in a safe place so you can swap it back when you are back from your travels. 

Visible+ Plan

• The Visible network is available in all 50 states in the US.
  • Roaming at no cost
  • WiFi

International Services (Using your device outside the U.S.)

• Local SIM Service (Device must already be unlocked)
    • Unlimited Talk and Text:
      • Mexico and Canada, plus the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.
  • Data speeds are reduced to 2G after 0.5 GB/day.
    • Talk, text and use unlimited data when traveling in Mexico and Canada, plus the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. Data speeds are reduced to 2G after 0.5 GB/day.
    • Roaming capabilities are not yet enabled on certain devices, see the Visible Help Center for the latest information.

NeilN
Novice

I have contacted a Visible rep and they stated to use WIFI when traveling to the USVI.  Service does not work while in the USVI, however, Calls can be made to the USVI while you are currently in the US. 

A local sim is required when you are outside of the US. 

Local SIM Service

Swap out your Visible SIM card for a local SIM when you need mobile services while traveling internationally! Make sure to keep your Visible SIM card in a safe place so you can swap it back when you are back from your travels. 

Visible+ Plan

• The Visible network is available in all 50 states in the US.
  • Roaming at no cost
  • WiFi

International Services (Using your device outside the U.S.)

• Local SIM Service (Device must already be unlocked)
    • Unlimited Talk and Text:
      • Mexico and Canada, plus the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.
  • Data speeds are reduced to 2G after 0.5 GB/day.
    • Talk, text and use unlimited data when traveling in Mexico and Canada, plus the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. Data speeds are reduced to 2G after 0.5 GB/day.
    • Roaming capabilities are not yet enabled on certain devices, see the Visible Help Center for the latest information.

Not sure what agent you talked to at Visible but they are wrong. You are supposed to have service while in USVI with Visible+.

Here is from the plan details at visible.com - 

Unlimited Talk, Text & Data Roaming in Mexico and Canada

Talk, text and use unlimited data when traveling in Mexico and Canada, plus the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. Data speeds are reduced to 2G after 0.5GB/day. Roaming capabilities are not yet enabled on certain devices, see the Visible Help Center for the latest information.

I don't have the plus plan and have never been to the USVI so I can't say it works but according to the details you are supposed to be able to roam in the USVI, Mexico, Canada and PR.