WIFI access

Doowops
Novice II

Hi, I am new to Visible.  How do I get WIFI access on my phone when I am out and about?  Am I expected to use my cellular data?  If so, am I at risk of using too much data?

Thank you,

Doowops

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!  I was about to go back to my old provider.  Now I understand that using cellular data is normal.

If you don't mind, I have a couple of more questions as I am trying to figure out how to use this company.

1.  I guess I have an Esim.  Should I have the physical sim card?

2.  I see a lot of talk about wifi calling.  Does that need to be turned on for making calls?

I am using an iphone 11.  Thanks again!

View solution in original post

Thank you very much!  I do appreciate your time and effort.  It restored my confidence in this company now that I have some understanding of how it is supposed to be used.  Most of all of the help documents concern problems.  Don't think any tell you how it should work normally.  Thanks again!  Take care!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

As far as Wi-Fi goes you would need to turn on Wi-Fi on your phone and connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot where ever you are. But it isn't necessary unless you don't have signal.

Why not use your cellular data, it's unlimited with no caps.

There is a point it is considered abuse when Verizon(Visible's parent company monitors this usage) see a month of extreme usage that is outside your normal usage, you will get a text for this abuse to stop or service could be canceled. There is technically no limit or set number but I have read some really old posts on Visible's Reddit page that the number that gets you a text is around a Terabyte(1000GB) or more of data usage. I think this abuse is from people using routers or VPN's or using something to bypass the video speed cap of 480p and watching a lot of video in 4K and/or the hotspot speed cap of 5Mbps.

Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!  I was about to go back to my old provider.  Now I understand that using cellular data is normal.

If you don't mind, I have a couple of more questions as I am trying to figure out how to use this company.

1.  I guess I have an Esim.  Should I have the physical sim card?

2.  I see a lot of talk about wifi calling.  Does that need to be turned on for making calls?

I am using an iphone 11.  Thanks again!

1. If you have eSIM now and it works there is no need to switch, that would be your choice for pSIM if you wanted to free up your eSIM slot. I am on Visible's Reddit page and see the different issues that arise with Visible. I do see some have issues with eSIM and have gotten a physical SIM and it works better for them. Of course you being an iPhone user if you ever upgrade to I think 13 or higher your only option is eSIM. My phone is only capable of pSIM so I know very little about eSIM.

2. Yes, it does need to be turned on to use it. Usually wi-fi calling is for those that have poor cell signal at there house and have calls drop. You need to be connected to wi-fi, not sure but I think airplane mode needs to be turned on so it uses wi-fi and doesn't try to connect to the cellular network. I am an Android user so I wouldn't know what procedure is needed for it to work on an iPhone. If you have good signal I would worry about wi-fi calling. Some have used wi-fi calling internationally and connect to wi-fi such as in a hotel and use it tom make calls and texts, but it needs to be turned on before leaving the US and if it gets turned off by accident you can't turn it back on unless you are in the US.

I am by know means an expert, actually not very tech savvy, and this information comes from my time spent here and on Visible Reddit. 

Thank you very much!  I do appreciate your time and effort.  It restored my confidence in this company now that I have some understanding of how it is supposed to be used.  Most of all of the help documents concern problems.  Don't think any tell you how it should work normally.  Thanks again!  Take care!

I'm relieved to have transitioned to visible, as my previous plan had a 1 GB limit, so I connected to both secure and public wifi to avoid overages.  Now, I can limit connecting to secure wifi only, & use cellular data when  unavailable.  ๐Ÿ˜ฎโ€๐Ÿ’จ

We don't have public wi-fi in my rural area, there is 120 miles away. Now, personally, even if it was available and even if it was secure I would rather just use cellular data instead, it is unlimited with no data caps. As long as service is available there is no reason to use public wi-fi to me. JMO.

This is the exact trepidation I had so I had to reach out to someone to find out how exactly this is supposed to work.  Feels good doesn't it?