Windows texting

Edwardsmarkf
Novice

Hello, my soon-2-be-former cell company, republic-wireless, had a cool app that allowed me to send/retrieve text messages on windows-desktop.

Is this pretty common?   Do all cell providers have something like this?

I don't mean text-to-email, although that can be handy as well.  This is a standalone windows app just for text messaging.

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2

upstate-SC
Superuser
Superuser

No, this feature is not common. This may be a feature or web application developed by that service provider. Text/ SMS is handled by the network operator. So they can read all the data (SMS sent by you, received by you).

Contrary to iMessage in iPhone, which is end-to-end encrypted and doesn't go through service provider.

I personally dont use plain texts/ SMS for sending personal information. I use other apps available in app store which is end-to-end encrypted. I prefer Signal.

If you think this answered your question, please mark this as solution.

Just another visible user, willing to help others.
Please mark my answer as solution if it helped you.

Edwardsmarkf
Novice

thank you.  i am totally unfamiliar with how texting works, and it would appear i have a bit to learn.

RW now offers https://messaging.google.com that does what i want, but i am surprised this is not a more common option/feature.   often times i am attached to my desktop/laptop for hours at a time, and its pretty handy to read/reply to text messages that way.  perhaps a security issue there??
RW may get a reprieve, for now anyway.   or maybe look at google-fi.....