PSA: Compatibility Checker

VisiblyPresent
Intermediate III

FWIW and for the longest time, my Samsung S21 5G (SM-G99U1) had been showing as incompatible (despite that it does in fact work). After a casual mention in passing was made over on one of the Visible subreddit's threads, I verified the phone's compatibility using the Verizon Compatibility Checker and found that the phone now shows as compatible using the Visible Compatibility Checker. Further more, my Visible account's device now shows as the correct model number.

Unfortunately, I can't state for certain whether the Verizon Compatibility Checker actually triggered this since I didn't have the presence of mind to check Visible prior to that action (only after), but worth a shot for those struggling with this issue. Maybe others can verify this works also to empirically test this - but really disappointed with Visible if this is all that's needed - you'd think someone on their team (and Verizon's) could have figured this out by now but I didn't come to Visible for the support.

8 REPLIES 8

rjniles
Superuser
Superuser

My Wife's Moto G Power 2021 (XT2117) is compatible on the Verizon checker but no on the Visible checker.

VisiblyPresent
Intermediate III

Did you just try it or was that a past experience? Appeared to be a new behavior for me, but can't say for certain. Just a few hours ago that I verified on Verizon then it verified on Visible.

Tried them both earlier today. I'll wait a few days and try again.

Same goes for my old Moto G Power (2021) that I just dug out of the drawer - compatible on Verizon  not so on Visible. Would be interesting to hear from those having 5G phones that this approach may or may not work with. Wish I'd checked Visible prior to doing this to actually determine if it was triggered by checking on Verizon as others have claimed elsewhere.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using the Verizon compatibility checker will change nothing with Visible's compatibility checker. They are two separate databases that are not linked in any way. My phone has shown not compatible on Visible since they upgraded the system and still isn't compatible today and yet it worked just fine on the new upgraded system you are on today. Yes, I checked it before on Verizon and checked it now and it is compatible there. Checking it on Verizon did not change the status on Visible either.  You likely entered it wrong the first time you checked it on Visible because it isn't magically added to the system.

You don't know that and no I didn't enter it wrong on either checker it was copied and pasted directly from my phone both today as well as in the past. Kindly explain again why it worked for me as well as others who relate the same experience on the subreddit. There could be any number of anomalies associated with this phenomenon including brand as well as whether the phone is a 5G model -  as pointed out, it's worth a shot and is but one person's experience for the phone mentioned. But suddenly and unexpectedly my previously incompatible phone is now compatible and the device is now listed correctly on my Visible account. So no reason to be dismissive of my experience.

Of course Visible could put all of this speculation to rest once and for all, and with today's technology there is absolutely no reason Version and Visible could share the databases and exclude certain phones. There's no need for duplicative efforts given their trusted relationship especially when Visible wants to keep their costs low. For example, Visible may simply want to exclude 4G phones on their network. This really isn't rocket science. The only thing that really stands out is Visible's reticence on the matter.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Over on Reddit the only that has been mentioned in the last 4 months is people tell others to go to Verizon and check because they say Visible's checker is whacky.

Visible's has a totally separate database than Verizon and they are not linked so it isn't possible that you it first showed not compatible on visible and after going to Verizon and then it automatically shows compatible with Visible. That is just absurd. You had to have entered it wrong, only other explanation is maybe someone at Visible is working on adding phones to the list but I highly doubt it since they told me 8 months ago that it is possible mine could become compatible since they are supposedly updating the database. Well, it still shows not compatible and as I said I went to Verizon it shows compatible and yet it doesn't show compatible here. Also, when I upgraded from the old network to the new and even though my phone showed not compatible I had no problems activated the SIM card in it and it worked flawlessly and I didn't need a new phone after all. I again complained to Visible and they just aren't going to update the database.

I already brought it up to Visible that they should be using Verizon's database. I was told they operate differently and can't which to me makes no sense also. 

Other thing is you may have used the eSIM IMEI number when you came back to Visible and that likely passed the checker.

Once again you insist on telling me what I did - it was the physical IMEI. At the same time you continue to be dismissive of my experience, I was there and you weren't. The fact that you are really unfamiliar with today's technology and the ease with which information can be shared and/or exchanged utilizing web services and then dismissing that as a possibility is the real absurdity. Completely different companies often share data to eliminate duplicative costs utilizing trusted relationships with web services.  Feel free to unsubscribe from this thread at anytime but quit trying to explain away my experience - I never came back to Visible have always been here since before the new plans were available.

Regardless, I'm now pleased  that my preferred phone is now miraculously compatible and therefore supported. It removes the your phone is "unsupported" deflection purportedly used by support (not that I've had to use their support). If that info helps just one individual so be it - as I said it's worth a shot.