Want to buy a phone locally and use Visible

horsenut2000
Novice II

I would like to go get a phone locally and then sign up with Visible.  I was hoping to get this done today.  I already have an existing phone but want to have a second phone separate from my current plan.  I've always just bought my phones through Verizon so do I just have to make sure I buy an unlocked phone when I buy from Target or Walmart?  Thanks for your help!!!

4 REPLIES 4

Airwolf
Superuser
Superuser

Yes, you need to make sure it is 'unlocked' for any service.  To help in this make sure you do not have to put a service provider in.  Typically if there is a 'discount' involved via a carrier the phone gets locked to them for a certain time frame, so you have to use their service so they can make their money back.

If a post has solved your problem, please mark it as an acceptable solution, it helps others that may have experienced a similar issue get a quick resolution.

So, I don't know why but I never got any alerts that anyone had replied back to my post.  I just happened to stumble across this post now.  I ended up buying a phone through Visible thinking that would be easier.  Boy was I wrong.  Going to post that in it's own post.  Maybe porting over an existing #/ phone might be easier because buying a new phone/ new # has been absolutely horid.  I still don't have everything resolved.  Visible evidently doesn't do quality control when they send out their phones because mine didn't come w/a charger, then after charged, learned it didn't come w/the SIM card, waited another couple days for that.  What a joke.  Thank GD I have another line or I would really be looking to ring some necks.

upstate-SC
Superuser
Superuser

Please refer to the list of compatible devices  that operate with Visible before making the purchase.

All unlocked iPhones (new models) work with Visible

VisibleRocks
Superuser
Superuser

I always recommend that in addition to checking that the phone is unlocked and a compatible device that you go to the Help Center at https://www.visible.com/help, then start a chat with customer service and check the IMEI number to be sure it's compatible.  I have had people with a compatible phone model end up finding out that it's not compatible.

If a post has solved your problem, please mark it as an acceptable solution, it helps others that may have experienced a similar issue get a quick resolution.