Network Update

MEG
Novice II

My wife has identical iPhone, she did network update and received message that new simcard would arrive in 2 days. So, I tried to do update on my phone; app on phone was extremely slow and kept asking for information that made me think it did not recognize I had an account, though under Account all info was correct.  So installed current app on my new iPad, verified it had my Account correct.  Clicked on Update, put in my IMEI#, was told definitely my phone was compatible, clicked on plan and was immediately taken to shopping site and told phone was not compatible.  4chats kept me going in the same loop.  I was never able  to get Chat to give me option to do chat with customer service.  Tried reinstalling app with same results.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Her software version is 12.5.7.  Now I’m concerned that when the new simcard arrives it won’t work and we are both looking at needing new phones

View solution in original post

Yea, you won't be able to complete activation. For the new network, they make you use the app to activate the SIM. The app requires an iPhone 6S or newer with iOS 15.5 or higher. The 6 won't get the new carrier bundle update to make it compatible with the new network. You'll have to upgrade phones, unfortunately. You can upgrade to a 6S for really cheap, just to get you by until you get new devices.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The issue is you won't be able activate it on those phones. Even if you had another phone that could activate it is the phone still may not work completely.

To save some money on a new phone, possibly look at eBay for some good used iPhones such as an 11 or 12. I am an android person and picked up a like new phone in excellent shape. 

8 REPLIES 8

jwhitaker80
Intermediate

Which phones? iPhones 7 and earlier have issues passing the IMEI checks sometimes. If you have an XS/XR or newer you can try the second IMEI, and go eSIM if it shows compatible. Otherwise just choose a Verizon iPhone 8-13 and it will bypass the IMEI check and ship you a SIM card.

Thanks for the idea,!  We both have iPhone6.  Puzzle is she was never asked what phone she had, just went right to updating networks and choosing plan.  I’ll try the lie about what phone I have.

The iPhone 6 is NOT compatible with the new network, only because you can’t activate the SIM due to the Visible app requiring iOS 15.5. It may work if you can activate in a newer device first, but you may still have issues. Are you sure she has a 6 and not a 6s?

Just double checked that her phone is iPhone6, as is mine.  Her software version is 12.5.7.   So I think this means when her new simcard arrives, it is not likely to work?

Yea, you won't be able to complete activation. For the new network, they make you use the app to activate the SIM. The app requires an iPhone 6S or newer with iOS 15.5 or higher. The 6 won't get the new carrier bundle update to make it compatible with the new network. You'll have to upgrade phones, unfortunately. You can upgrade to a 6S for really cheap, just to get you by until you get new devices.

Anonymous
Not applicable

FYI, you need the app to activate the new card and I believe the app requires iOS 15.5. Not sure what phone shows on her account but it had to have asked for what kind of phone she had at some point because you can't get a card or upgrade otherwise. iPhones of course don't need the IMEI number if it is new enough and you are having a SIM mailed to you, if using eSIM it will then ask for the IMEI number no matter which newer model it is.

Her software version is 12.5.7.  Now I’m concerned that when the new simcard arrives it won’t work and we are both looking at needing new phones

Anonymous
Not applicable

The issue is you won't be able activate it on those phones. Even if you had another phone that could activate it is the phone still may not work completely.

To save some money on a new phone, possibly look at eBay for some good used iPhones such as an 11 or 12. I am an android person and picked up a like new phone in excellent shape.